cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband cutting out every night

sherry2007

Broadband cutting out every night

For the past month, our broadband has been cutting out every night - up to 5 times a night, right in the middle of watching something. Not aware of any faults - can someone tell me whats going on or why I should keep paying for something I'm not getting properly?

Cheers

9 REPLIES 9
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 258

Re: Broadband cutting out every night

@sherry2007 Welcome to the forums. What package are you on, which Hub have you got and how long do the cut-outs last?

John
sherry2007

Hi we are on the Unlimited Fibre Extra inc. Line rental package - as for hub (?) plusnet one! No idea any more about it. has been happening in late evening every night for a few minutes at a time, about 5 times a night.  Getting really really sick of it now!

jab1
Legend

@sherry2007 Which one from the picture below.

Screenshot 2022-11-23 at 15-26-40 How to Set-Up your New Plusnet Router Help Plusnet.png

How technical are you - just so I can tailor my responses.

John
sherry2007

Ok, we have the hub 1 router from your pictures. I'm more of a gardener than a tech type so keep it simple please!

jab1
Legend

OK, @sherry2007 I will post a simple set of instructions which should help the Community members help you, but don't worry about asking if there is something you don't understand - I leave all gardening to my sister, because I don't understand that.  😁

For Community members to be able to help, information from these two sites, as screenshots, posted as pictures within the topic, not as attachments:-

BT Broadband(obscuring your phone number) and BTW Performance Tester - Over a wired (Ethernet) connection if at all possible, please report the 'ADDITIONAL DIAGNOSTICS', and sight of the broadband connection status from your Hub (with the 'Username' obscured) would be a good starting point.

For the Hub One -

Navigate from the Home Screen to Troubleshooting > Helpdesk

For the Hub Two -

Navigate from the Home Screen to Advanced Settings > Technical Log > Information

It may also be a good idea to report the results of a Quiet Line Test - dial 17070 option 2 from a (preferably corded) phone. After the confirmation of your phone number, there should be total silence apart from the regular 'Quiet Line Test' announcement. Any other noise - report a PHONE fault first.

John
sherry2007

IMG_20221214_184238.jpg

IMG_20221214_184256.jpg

jab1
Legend

Thanks for those, @sherry2007 . Your connection status and results of a Quiet Line Test would be useful to complete a picture.

John
sherry2007

Hi just thought I would fill you in. The internet now seems to be working. I ended up phoning plusnet just before Christmas and explained what had been happening. I was asked how many sets of lights we had on the Christmas tree as apparently too many can interfere with your internet.....anyway, I was then told to disconnect the landline and see if that helped (I was having the call on a mobile), We agreed the customer service woman would phone me back on Boxing Day to see if the problem had been solved. I got an email from her saying she had tried to call on Boxing Day but got no reply. I checked the mobile but there was no missed call.  

So I can only assume that the woman phoned the landline which she had told me to disconnect, instead of phoning the mobile number she had. Oh well, at least our Christmas lights were ok!

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 162

Happy New Year.

I think this needs to go back to basics.

Is the router plugged into the master socket?

Are there any telephone extensions?

Can you correlate the break in the internet with the use of the telephone - either outbound or inbound calls?

Broadband is not going to work well if the "phone" line is not working properly.

Please perform a quiet line test - dial 17070 select option 2 using a phone plugged into the test socket behind the face plate of the master socket (ideally this should be a corded phone). The line should be silent. A noisy phone line (or no dial tone) will have a marked adverse impact on the performance of broadband.

If the line is noisy or there is no dial tone, then a PHONE LINE fault needs to be raised with your phone provider. If this is PlusNet, you can report a fault on line using the button below. NB: You need to put your LANDLINE NUMBER after "PHONE" [missing instruction].

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.