Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband costings...

PNnewbie
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Broadband costings...

My eldest daughter and myself are already with PlusNet and I’ve recently been looking for a suitable package for my other daughter who has just bought her own place.
I called PlusNet who I’m afraid baffled me with figures (I’m sure it’s something to do with my age – when you pass the three score and ten mark it’s all downhill…). The very pleasant young man I spoke to then sent me two emails confirming our conversation – they were both different and neither were similar to what we’d discussed earlier – which left me even more confused !
Can someone at Plunet please confirm the following, I’ve included BT broadband costings as a comparison.
PlusNet line rental £131.88 for 12 months.      BT line rental £141 for 12 months.
Plusnet broadband £6.49 per month.              BT broadband £10 per month.
Plusnet Router free £5.99 P&P.                    BT router free £6.95 P&P.
However on the Plusnet site this evening I see the £6.49 monthly broadband charge is only for 9 months, it then becomes £12.99. Throw in the £25 cashback Plusnet will give and the 50p per month I get for bringing in new business and there’s not a great deal in it.
However.
My daughter’s new house has a line and a master socket but when I connect a telephone there is no ringing tone.  The previous owner had spent the last two years in a home and the property was empty so I presume the line has been disconnected at the exchange.  Now Plusnet want £49.99 to reconnect the line.  BT will do it for free.  I checked with Primus and they also said line reconnection would be free.
I ‘would ’prefer‘ to go with Plusnet and if they could do something about the £49.99 I would seriously consider signing on the bottom line…
Not too sure if this is posted in the correct place but I’m sure if not someone will move it.
7 REPLIES 7
The_10th
Grafter

Re: Broadband costings...

Contact the Customer Options team and explain what you've worked out. If they offer a good deal take it, if not, then maybe try BT (getting BT Sport free too)..
Caller ID costs 99p per month with Plusnet too (free with BT Privacy) in case you haven't considered that.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

A guess as to the difference
It depends on whether the exchange is Market 3 or not
http://www.plus.net/info2/legal/price_guide.html#broadband_family
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

However on the Plusnet site this evening I see the £6.49 monthly broadband charge is only for 9 months, it then becomes £12.99. Throw in the £25 cashback Plusnet will give and the 50p per month I get for bringing in new business and there’s not a great deal in it.

Yes, as Oldjim says the price difference depends on the market area (i.e whether or not your daughter lives in a low cost area) a quick check here would confirm that.
Adam
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
PNnewbie
Rising Star

Hi,
Thanks for your comments.
The estimated broadband speed is very good (7 - 8 megs) but it's a small village  (I can't even remember seeing an exchange there - probably a small building squashed in between two houses !)  and as Adam says it may not be in a low cost area.
My main concern however is the re-connection fee.  Companies seem to quote whatever comes to mind, BT says they usually charge £150 which strikes me as being totally ludicrous - but that then they say they would do it for nothing !!!  Having worked in electronics for 40 years I appreciate that years ago connecting/reconnecting lines might have involved jiggling links about, surely nowadays it's all done via computer and a couple of minutes at a keyboard should have it sorted.  If I could persuade Plusnet to waive the reconnection fee I'd seriously consider giving them more business, we have two accounts with them already.
Plus the fact that having worked for BT for a while and being only too aware of how they operate I give them a wide berth wherever possible !!!
Thanks.
John
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

There's at least one supplier who offer home phone with no connection fee and a one month contract - in theory, at least, you could 'use' them to get a free telephone line connection and then move to Plusnet.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
PNnewbie
Rising Star

W23 - I know the Post Office  'were'  doing this a while ago but I think it's stopped, understandably I suppose.  Everybody was having their phones re-connected then moving elsewhere...  Cheesy
J
PNnewbie
Rising Star

Still mulling over this reconnection fee, I contacted a company called 'Yourcalls'.  I emailed them to ask if they did reconnections and if so did they charge.  In the meantime I did some Googling and Yourcalls apparently have been getting some pretty dreadful reviews so I'd decided I wouldn't bother with them.
This morning I got a reply from Yourcalls:-
"At present we are not opening new telephone accounts, as we are upgrading our systems - However, we do have a sister company called Plusnet, who are offering a range of telephone and broadband packages...please call us on 0845 450 5020 - we can transfer you straight to a dedicated sales team at Plusnet, who can discuss the options available"
Sister companies ?