cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband connection up and down (mainly down) over last few days.

Moolapie
Dabbler

Broadband connection up and down (mainly down) over last few days.

Hi, our broadband connection has been flaky for most of this week; and has been down for over 24 hours with the last drop.

I have noticed crackling and noises on the phone line, and when I went to setup the router again the wrong username was in there for some reason. Changing the username instantly restored the connection, but it went down again about 10 minutes later.

Notes:

Effecting all devices in the house, other ethernet or wireless.

The router status page frequently shows that we are connected, even though no devices in the house can get online.

Help!

7 REPLIES 7
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Re: Broadband connection up and down (mainly down) over last few days.

Hi,

Working through the basics is always a good start as it rules out the common problems users can fix for them selves.  Have you looked at the speed issues topic - see the link below.

Broadband is not going to work well if the "phone" line is not working properly.

Please perform a quiet line test - dial 17070 select option 2 using a corded phone plugged into the test socket behind the face plate of the master socket. It should be silent. A noisy phone line (or no dial tone) will have a marked adverse impact on the performance of broadband.

If the line is noisy or there is no dial tone, then a PHONE LINE fault needs to be raised with your phone provider. If this is PlusNet, you can report a fault on line using the button below.  From the Q&A list, choose the one which matches the problem, 'open' the 'section' and click the trouble-shooter link.  NB: If you receive a failure message (rather than a log-in prompt) then log-in to the user portal in a different browser tab and attempt to use the trouble-shooter again.

You mentioned line noise - have you raised a phone line fault report?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Sorry to hear you're having issues.

I can see there's been a few drops as shown below 

image15120461797932

I'd recommend going through the steps Townman has advised on as if there's noise on the line that will affect your connection

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
Moolapie
Dabbler

Hiya

I gave the quiet test line a call and I can hear definitely static, not quiet at all.

I then clicked that link and was taken to a page where a test was performed on the phone line; it finished with no problems detected apparently 😕

This morning the connection was down again so I logged on to the Plusnet router page, which simply gave me the error that my DSL connection was down; first time I've seen that.

I've since connected a backup third party router and the connection is back up again, for the moment. Phone line still noisy though.

Moolapie
Dabbler

Annnnnd it's down again.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

@Moolapie wrote:

Hiya

I gave the quiet test line a call and I can hear definitely static, not quiet at all.

I then clicked that link and was taken to a page where a test was performed on the phone line; it finished with no problems detected apparently 😕

I've since connected a backup third party router and the connection is back up again, for the moment. Phone line still noisy though.

Keep doing QLT tests - lines showing problems might not be noisy all of the time.  The act of testing (using) the phone can 'fix' the problem for a short while ... until the joint gets wet again.

I would try the fault reporter again, specifically referencing an intermittently noisy line.  If that still passes, try the broadband trouble shooter, its tests for line quality are more stringent.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Moolapie
Dabbler

So I've tried running the line test from https://www.plus.net/my-account/tools/phone-troubleshooter/ a few times and it consistently times out and completely drops the broadband connection half way through now.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Please use the PN Ticket link below to see if the phone fault trouble shooter raised a ticket.  Dropping the broadband link should not happen, nor should the trouble-shooter scream "oops there's been a fault" - it is a known problem raised by the SUs!!

If there is a (or many) tickets, they should get picked up by the faults team.  Otherwise you will need to phone / use chat or hope that @Gandalf can assist here.