cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband connection for ADSL after Fibre?

Zap
Grafter

Broadband connection for ADSL after Fibre?

I recommended a friend take a look at Plusnet as their contract with TalkTalk is coming up for renewal.
They are on the outskirts of a town in what I think is a Market 3 exchange, they ar 2.63km straight line, the connection used to be dire at 0.5mb and then around 1mb on the old ADSL, TalkTalk told them the speed was dire because of the cabling in the area (some sort of shared copper) and the distance from the exchange.  So they upgraded and TalkTalk put in a Fibre connection which was lightning fast.
Now they are considering going back to ADSL2, so my question is, what is the likely speed they will get and is the BT standard page (below)  for their address likely to be accurate.
When they moved to LLU would their local cabling have been improved and can that now be used for ADSL, obviously they will still be as far away, but I think that the cabling from their house to the green box was improved for the install of Fibre, but shouldn't that be part of BT wholesale rather than TalkTalk?  
I know that when they had some telephone line problems their Fibre remained working and it took BT to come to the house to fix it (the issue was in the box on the outside of the house).
So if they went back to ADSL2 what is their likely speed?

BT Wholesale ADSL
   BT Wholesale ADSL Max
   BT Wholesale WBC (21CN)
   BT Wholesale SDSL
   BT FTTC
   AOL LLU
   O2 / Be LLU
   Bulldog LLU
   TalkTalk (CPW) LLU
   Sky Broadband / Easynet LLU
   Pipex LLU
   Tiscali LLU
   Tiscali TV (via Tiscali LLU)
   Virgin Media (Cable)

Your exchange is ADSL enabled, and our initial check on your address indicates that your line should be able to have an ADSL broadband service that provides a fixed line speed up to 1Mbps. However due to the length of your line the 1Mbps service may require an engineer visit who will, where possible, supply the broadband service.
Our check also indicates that your line currently supports an estimated ADSL Max broadband line speed of 2Mbps; typically the line speed would range between 1.5Mbps and 4.5Mbps.
Our check also indicates that your line currently supports an estimated ADSL2+ broadband line speed of 3Mbps; typically the line speed would range between 1.5Mbps and 5.5Mbps. Our test also indicates that your line could support an estimated ADSL 2+ Annex-M broadband upstream line speed of 500Kbps and downstream line speed of 3Mbps; typically the downstream speed would range between 1.5Mbps and 5.5Mbps.
Our test also indicates that your line currently supports a fibre technology with an estimated WBC FTTC Broadband where consumers have received downstream line speed of 32.1 Mbps and upstream line speed of 5.9 Mbps.
The actual stable line speed supportable will be determined during the first 10 days of use. This speed may change over time, to ensure line stability is maintained.
Furthermore your exchange has been enabled for multicast services on fibre lines, please contact your provider for further details.
4 REPLIES 4
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Re: Broadband connection for ADSL after Fibre?

My result from the BT checker is:
Your exchange is ADSL enabled, and our initial test on your line indicates that your line should be able to have an ADSL broadband service that provides a fixed line speed up to 1Mbps. However due to the length of your line the 1Mbps service may require an engineer visit who will, where possible, supply the broadband service.
Our test also indicates that your line currently supports an estimated ADSL Max broadband line speed of 2Mbps; typically the line speed would range between 1.5Mbps and 4.5Mbps.
Our test also indicates that your line currently supports an estimated ADSL2+ broadband line speed of 3Mbps; typically the line speed would range between 1.5Mbps and 5.5Mbps. Our test also indicates that your line could support an estimated ADSL 2+ Annex-M broadband upstream line speed of 500Kbps and downstream line speed of 3Mbps; typically the downstream speed would range between 1.5Mbps and 5.5Mbps.

I'm now on FTTC but when on ADSL2+ I comfortably got 6.5Mb.  Each line will behave differently but with pretty much the same BT estimate I'd expect something similar.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Zap
Grafter

Thanks Walker23, how far are you from your exchange
SamKnows will tell you
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Samknows says 2.12km straight line BUT the exchange location on their map is not quite correct, it's a little further in reality.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
quelquod
Pro
Fixes: 1

Quote from: Zap
SamKnows will tell you

I've not found that SamKnows is very accurate.
It estimates the distance from the exchange as 2.18km which isn't too far out.
It tells me that I can get 512kb ADSL, and may be able to get 1Mb ADSL, and won't get 2Mb ADSL.
PN estimate my line as 3Mb.
In practice I get between 6 and 7Mb.
Democracy - 3 wolves and a lamb voting about what to have for lunch!