cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband connection dropped out during gales, and speed now below creep speed

tillydaff
Grafter

Broadband connection dropped out during gales, and speed now below creep speed

According to our router's log, our broadband connection dropped out during the gales of the last couple of days, and is now so slow as to be virtually unusable. Before the gales, it was bobbing along at 2.5 to 3 Mbps. It's now 150 kbps, when we can get a speedtest to run - it's so poor now that only one in three attempts to test the speed produce a result! 
I rebooted the router and the DSL Connection Rate is now 2.5 Mbps(DOWN-STREAM), 0.45 Mbps(UP-STREAM).  BT's speedtest site says IP Profile for your line is - 0.14 Mbps.
Phone is working OK.
I've reported the fault through the online plusnet reporting system, but it didn't allow me to enter the details above.  Since we live at the top of a hill, we need our line to be robust, but it's obviously not sufficiently robust to cope with strong winds, despite two (at least) stretches of copper cabling having been replaced in the last couple of months. With any luck, the speed might return to something more normal if the IP profile is manually reset ... but in the long run, we need a more permanent fix to the problem of the connection being lost during strong winds.
Can you help?
1 REPLY 1
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

Re: Broadband connection dropped out during gales, and speed now below creep speed

Yeah, looks like the bad weather has caused the BT systems to drop your profile.  We need to go through the faults process to get it resolve.  You've got  an open ticket in the right place to be picked up.
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager