cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband connection dropouts, wired connection suggested but…

holly48court

Broadband connection dropouts, wired connection suggested but…

Hello, I had great hopes for PlusNet when I signed up after leaving TalkTalk but, ever since it has been dissappointment after dissappointment resulting in being told by a 'Tech Expert' to use a wired connection. Can someone explain how I connect my iphone and ipad into a 'wired connection' please? I thought wired connections were a thing of the past?
As suggested by several PlusNet experts I have connected through all the channels where I live in the hope one of of them would improve the connection standard. I don't understand why I am having this problem as my previous broadband providers didn't. It's impossible to watch a film without the the picture 'freezing', buffering, refreshing…
I would like to get out of the PlusNet contract but, I have to pay £170!?!? If a job/service isn't provided as written in the providers contract, the customer doesn't pay surely? Weird.
9 REPLIES 9
etdsaunders
Pro
Fixes: 7

Re: Broadband connection dropouts, wired connection suggested but…

So the speed is fine, but the wifi is under performing?
What router do you have?Huh
Raspberry Pi enthusiast!
If you Like it, give it a Thumbs_Up
PeeGee
Pro
Fixes: 3

Quote from: holly48court
I thought wired connections were a thing of the past?

Not really - wired connections are highly reliable and rarely suffer from interference, a complete contrast to wireless Shocked  That is why "wired" speed tests are requested, it identifies where the problem is probably occurring. with relatively high accuracy
That said, have you tried setting different SSIDs for the 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands. There are suggestions in other threads that this can overcome some problems (at least it may stop inadvertent switching between bands).
Phil
Plusnet FTTC (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
Using a TP-Link Archer VR600 modem-router.
runhare
Aspiring Pro

Log into your routers' management interface using your tablet .  Then you can look at the actual connection speed.  Post the results here. (redact any pesonal info ) If it is near the quoted range then the wireless side is underperforming . 
Do some further testing starting off  with your tablet right next to your router  and then gardually move away, testing as you move further and further away to see if the  perfomance drops. If it does then it is defintiley the wiereless side requreis some thought.
An ISP supplied router isn't the best in all situations,  and you might be better off buying your own wireless router, making sure you aquire one that gives a better performance. If you still have the talk talk router you may be able to set that up to work with your plus net connection, if it worked well for you before then it may work again.
holly48court

Thank you for all the advice.
@etdsaunders I am using the modem that Plusnet provided. (The second one actually, the first was faulty).
@peegee "have you tried setting different SSIDs for the 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands". Sorry I am a novice when it comes to 2.4GHz etc. how do I change the settings please?
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Hi there,
We're happy to help look in to the problems you're experiencing, however we do ask that you test via an ethernet cable within the T&Cs:
2. What you need
2.1.5. to be able to connect to our services via a wired (Ethernet) connection so we can help fix any faults you may have.

I understand that you don't have any wired devices though. Have you been through any of the wireless troubleshooting: http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/wireless_broadband/
Quote from: PeeGee

That said, have you tried setting different SSIDs for the 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands. There are suggestions in other threads that this can overcome some problems (at least it may stop inadvertent switching between bands).

It's not a Hub One, it's a 2704 (ADSL connection).
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
PeeGee
Pro

<expletive>, I forgot it was ADSL and there was no device identified to trigger "sensible" mode Shocked Embarrassed
Phil
Plusnet FTTC (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
Using a TP-Link Archer VR600 modem-router.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

The fact the topic is in the ADSL forum and not the fibre one might have been a clue!  Roll_eyes
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29

Quote from: holly48court
@peegee "have you tried setting different SSIDs for the 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands". Sorry I am a novice when it comes to 2.4GHz etc. how do I change the settings please?

If you've a PN Hub One go to Advanced Settings then "Wireless" in the management page for the router, via your web browser:
select 5ghz tab; amend there, after unclicking synch with 2.4ghz, and change name from 2,4ghz one.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

For goodness sake will people please read before posting!
Quote from: Chris
It's not a Hub One, it's a 2704 (ADSL connection).
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)