cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband connection dropouts last night - today creep speed - again!

tillydaff
Grafter

Broadband connection dropouts last night - today creep speed - again!

Once again, our broadband connection dropped out a couple of times last night during wet and windy weather. Once again, we're back to creep speed today.
BT engineers have been out to investigate twice in the last couple of months, but they always arrive after the wind/rain and can't find anything wrong. There's obviously a problem with the cables during bad weather, but unless they come and test the line during those periods, it's unlikely they're going to solve the problem.
How can we get our broadband IP Profile set to something stable, so that when the wind and rain cause the dropouts, we don't end up having to log tickets and wait days or weeks before an acceptable speed returns?
Current router downstream connection speed is 3616 kbps.
Current BT speedtest shows:
Download speed achieved during the test was - 0.48 Mbps
Your DSL Connection Rate :3.62 Mbps(DOWN-STREAM), 0.45 Mbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 0.5 Mbps
I tried to use your online system for reporting faults but got an error message!
3 REPLIES 3
LinnPlusnet
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Broadband connection dropouts last night - today creep speed - again!

Hi tillydaff,
I'm sorry to hear you're experiencing issues when there's wind/rain. I've had a look into your account and can see Ticket: 82122784 raised to our Faults team. They should update you on this ticket within 48-72 hours. Hopefully this will be resolved for you soon!
tillydaff
Grafter

Disappointingly, the reply from the support team seems to be that they don't intend to do anything, and that the problem is because of distance from the exchange, so " I am unable to speed this connection up as this is the Maximum we can supply down your line at present".
He doesn't seem to understand that the IP profile has been set to creep speed, so no matter what I do, nothing will change til the IP profile is reset to 3 or 3.5 Mbps.
Can you please help???  This is a recurring issue, so I KNOW that the IP profile has to be reset before we'll get anything approaching 'normal' speed - ie 2.5 - 3.5 Mbps.
Thank you.
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Hi,
You've got two Support Tickets open, one with our Ticket Team (Ticket: 82122907) and one with our Faults Team (Ticket: 82122784).
The ticket with our Faults Team is the most relevant ticket as they are specifically trained to look for in depth issues. I'm sorry you've not had the initial response you'd like, our Faults Team are best placed to investigate and resolve this issue for you though.