Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband cable puzzle..

trymyluck
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Broadband cable puzzle..

I wonder if someone shed light on this piece of information about which I am puzzled.
I have Plusnet's 'FTTC' broadband together with their home phone service. Recently we had a telephone fault and the OPENREACH technician diagnosed an underground fault on one of the two phone/ broadband conductors which run from the house to the cabinet. I was getting a ringing tone when anyone tried to phone but no dialling tone and no voice communication. I told the technician that the broadband was still functioning to which he replied with the information that broadband needs only one conductor but that the internet would be running slower than normal. I was not aware that the internet was slow but I am puzzled by the technician's remark that only one conductor was needed. Can someone explain why only one conductor is needed. please.
3 REPLIES 3
HPsauce
Pro

Re: Broadband cable puzzle..

In a word higher frequencies (radio frequencies).
They can jump or bridge small breaks in the cable which audible low-frequency phone signals won't.
trymyluck
Rising Star

Thanks HPSauce for the information which I can understand. The OPENREACH technician's reply to my query was therefore not correct. However, I suppose if you are dealing with many similar circumstances  on a daily basis you might conclude that only one conductor is necessary for Broadband.
HPsauce
Pro

Well it's sort of correct, and I've actually had it happen to me.  Cheesy
Not sure it would work down a single cable all the way from the exchange, acting as an aerial, but it might.....  Wink