cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband activation

Metaliron

Broadband activation

Hi plusnet,
First of all, let me commend you on the excellent service I have received so far. I applied for home phone/broadband on the 15th of December and I had my home phone activated on the same day and received my router yesterday (19th). I have been told that my broadband will be activated on the 25th (any time until midnight). This is all incredibly quick and I have been kept in the loop the whole way so big thumbs up for that.
I was wondering if there was any way the line could be activated sooner than this? Preferably now  Tongue
Thanks in advance.
Metaliron
14 REPLIES 14
Metaliron

Re: Broadband activation

Hi there,
Any chance anything can be done to speed up things so I have broadband before crimbo?
Kind Regards
Metaliron
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi there and welcome aboard Metaliron!
We'd not be able to speed the order up I'm afraid, however the good news is that it's actually due to complete before midnight on the 24th.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Metaliron

Ok that's great news. Thanks for that Adam.
I did notice that my broadband light was on today (was red I believe) but I still couldn't log on... so perhaps a step closer!
It did say on the router not to hook it up before the line was activated. I'm clearly way too impatient for that and have already hooked it up. Will I face any problems when the line is actually activated on the 24th? I'm just making sure as I doubt anyone will be around on Christmas day to help out in case I face issues Tongue
Thanks in advance.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

I'm clearly way too impatient for that and have already hooked it up.

No worries, it just means you might have a little extra to do tomorrow but it shouldn't be too involved.
When the broadband light shows as solid green you'll just need to log in to the router via it's browser interface and enter the username and password:
http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/hardware/technicolor-582n-advanced.shtml
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Metaliron

Cheers again Adam. I just got a moment to try this. Correction my broadband light is steady green but my internet light is red. I logged in to the router but there's a plusnet username and password and I keep getting authentication failed. I am assuming this is because the line isn't set up yet. I will try this again when I get back from work today! Just a quick one, where can I find the password for this? Currently it's already stored but in case I mess it up or it's wrong. For more context: Username is username@plusdsl.net.
Thanks in advance.
Anonymous
Not applicable

The password that you require to configure your router's Plusnet PPP authentication,
is the same as the password that you use to login to the Plusnet "Member Centre"
Wink
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Your account hadn't activated on our end yet.
I've just done that for you now and you should be able to get online shortly.
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
Metaliron

Thanks a lot guys! I'll try this later today around 6 when I get home! One more thing, what's all this I keep seeing in the forums about profiles and getting the maximum speed possible for the line? Anything that needs to be set up in the back end?
Merry Christmas guys! Massive fan of plusnet already!
Anonymous
Not applicable

Quote from: Metaliron
what's all this I keep seeing in the forums about profiles

After your ADSL line is activated, your BT exchange will spend ten days 'training', trying different settings on your connection, and learning the characteristics of your line.  At the end of the ten days, BT will calculate your line profile that gives your line the best balance between highest speed and lowest error rates.
To allow the training to get the best result, try to keep your router continuously switched on, and don't be tempted to fiddle with the router settings too often.
Ask again here in about two weeks, and someone will take a look at your trained BT profile, and we can comment on whether it looks OK and whether the corresponding Plusnet line speed matches correctly.

Quote from: Metaliron
getting the maximum speed possible for the line?

To get the best result and maximum speed, ensure your modem/router is plugged into the telephone MASTER socket for the duration of the training, and ideally keep it located there afterwards.
Wink
Metaliron

Thanks guys, It's not quite been 2 weeks yet but I've been checking and my speed is around 5.4ish Mbs. I was estimated at 7 - 11 Mb and think the line could go faster though not quite sure how much. Am happyish at this speed and the broadband has been great so far but can't help but feel it can go faster.
Thanks in advance.
plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 18

The line is a bit lower than I'd expect so I've re-set the line for you. You should see an improvement to sync within the next few hours.
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team
Metaliron

Quote from: plusnettony
The line is a bit lower than I'd expect so I've re-set the line for you. You should see an improvement to sync within the next few hours.

Cheers Tony, I've just had a look now and there hasn't been any improvement, in fact, it seems to have dropped a bit to around 5.1 Mbs.
Could someone have a look? Thanks in advance.
Kind Regards
Metaliron
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Hi MetalIron,
A warm welcome to the forums.
To advise you further, we need some facts and figures please, as requested here - http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,96155.0.html

Is the router connected to the master socket?
Is there any noise on the line?  Dial 17070 option 2 using a corded phone in the master socket.
Are there any extension sockets / phone cables?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Your line is sycning at 6828, which means a profile of 6000 (this has increased from 5500 over the weekend). There's possibly a little more to be gained so if you can let us know the info that Townman has suggested that'd be good.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.