cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband activation time

richandsian
Grafter

Broadband activation time

My router arrived last night and so of course, I got all excited but it doesn't look like I can connect yet - fair enough, I only ordered a few days ago.
I just checked in the member centre though and it's saying a date for my activation - 19 days away. Is that normal? The 7-10 days I expected is long enough!
Thanks
15 REPLIES 15
James
Grafter

Re: Broadband activation time

Hi there,
BT are shopwing an acceptable date of 03/03, but with a required by date of 18/02.
This could either be human error or BT anticipating delays (which shouldn't happen).  I've seen this once before where BT had randomly set a really weird acceptable date.  I'll give them a ring now.
James
Grafter

Right ok.
BT are showing an acceptable date of March 3rd, because they know that they are short of resource in your area but can definitely provide service by that date.  It is however entirely possible for your order to be completed before hand and as such, I'm going to put your ticket on hold until the 20th, at which point we'll be able to double check again to see if they have had any update on progress.
Apologies for the delay here.
richandsian
Grafter

An acceptable date - interesting turn of phrase!
Thanks for checking it out.
James
Grafter

Wink
It's just the terms that BT use with their order system.
Required by is the date that we request.
richandsian
Grafter

Silly me, 19 days isn't a long time to wait at all!
I can't get the router to connect and have raised it with PN who are waiting on BT. There's only a master socket, no extensions, I've pulled the phone out, tried a few different microfilters and routers.
I've had a look at the phone socket. There are no wires connected directly to the front plate, behind the test socket however there are two wires connected; one blue, one white. There are maybe another 8 wires that are not connected to anything.
Most of the pictures I can find online of what it should look like involve wires with two colours striped, but these wires are all solid colours. I'm pretty sure the house is less than 5 years old so it shouldn't be wildly out of date.
Does this wiring sound right, has anyone seen wiring diagrams/photos online that might illustrate what the situation should be? Thanks.
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Does your phone work?
The incoming cable from BT is just 2 wires for your phone. The broadband signal comes over the same wires.
The filter splits the phone and broadband signals. Put simply imagine it's the difference between radio and TV - i.e. different frequencies.
BT need to connect up the  Broadband signal at the exchange, it sounds like that is in a work queue.
richandsian
Grafter

Yes, the phone works, so I presume the wiring's fine then.
BT have supposedly connected it up and since done line tests that haven't shown up any problems.
HPsauce
Pro

So what doesn't work?
What make & model of router is it and is it getting a broadband signal (check status)?
If it's a PN supplied one you're best asking them for support though........
richandsian
Grafter

Netgear, I think it's the DG834G. I've tried two of these and a Solwise SAR110 that PN supplied years ago. None seem able to get a signal.
HPsauce
Pro

DG834 is usually rock solid kit.
I presume you can log on to the routers admin pages from your PC.
What are your ADSL settings (usually VC-BASED, 0, 38)
What does the Modem section of the main status page say?
e.g.:
Modem 
ADSL Firmware Version A2pB018e.d16f
Modem Status Connected
DownStream Connection Speed 8128 kbps
UpStream Connection Speed 448 kbps
VPI 0
VCI 38
richandsian
Grafter

Yes, I can log in to the admin pages. I'd have to check tonight to be sure of everything, but VC-based, 0 and 38 sounds right for the adsl settings. They were the defaults anyway but I've checked against a sheet I printed off from PN over and over.
The status page I don't think reports any speeds, or they read as 0, and it just says "Connecting..."
HPsauce
Pro

What happens if you go back to the start and run the setup Wizard?
If it doesn't get a signal it usually says something like "check the cabling"
richandsian
Grafter

Yes, it wouldn't run the setup wizard for a reason along those lines.
HPsauce
Pro

Sounds like BT haven't turned it on yet........ Angry
(or you've wired it up wrong)