cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband activation new user

lporter586
Hooked

Broadband activation new user

I had an email a couple of hours ago to say my broadband was active but despite trying a couple of times to connect I am getting an orange light and a red flashing b - do I need to wait until tomorrow or should it be working as I've had the confirmation email? Thanks x
17 REPLIES 17
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 253

Re: Broadband activation new user

@lporter586 It can take up to midnight to fully setup on the PN systems - leave the router plugged in and come back tomorrow morning if you are still having problems - there are a couple of things we can try before you might have to ring in.

John
lporter586
Hooked

@jab1 thank you - I just tried to plug my landline in and it says to check the phone line (i.e. it's not working), is that the same thing where I need to wait til tomorrow? 

jab1
Legend

That is a bit strange - is this a complete new installation, or a transfer from another ISP? Your phone-line should really be active almost straight away.

John
lporter586
Hooked

It's completely new, we are in a new build and Openreach supposedly came out today although we saw no trace of them but just assumed it had been done as we got the phone and broadband emails from Plusnet...?

jab1
Legend

Ah - so you have been informed that both services are active, and yet you have no phone. Sounds like OR have fouled up somewhere.

If there is no service tomorrow morning, I suggest ringing in and asking PN to chase OR.

John
lporter586
Hooked

Thank you, will do Smiley

jab1
Legend

Just a thought - check all your phone connections are tight into the sockets - I assume you have a 5C master socket with a Mk.4 faceplate?

John
lporter586
Hooked

Yes it is that setup & yes I believe I have fitted it correctly, I can't seem to fit it in any tighter. I only have one master socket at the moment

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 73

I moved into a new build and Openreach came to test the phone line at the point of entry and at the master socket.

Are you plugged into the master socket or an extension socket?

Dan

lporter586
Hooked

Hi Dan, I only have a master socket currently so I have plugged into that. I had someone wait at home all day for the engineer, but no one ever came so we assumed maybe they had just been at the exchange?? I don't know much about it but as we got the emails from Plusnet we just thought all was fine.

jab1
Legend

@lporter586 wrote:

Yes it is that setup & yes I believe I have fitted it correctly, I can't seem to fit it in any tighter. I only have one master socket at the moment

OK, so it certainly sounds like a BT/OR error then. What happens if you try to ring the home number from a mobile?

John
lporter586
Hooked

Just tried it and it rings???? But not the actual phone downstairs... 🤔

jab1
Legend

I still suspect it is an external fault from your description - maybe they have connected you to someone else's port in the cab, or not completed the work correctly.

Just check the line into the base station is tight - assuming that you are using a cordless phone, that is. Do you have a corded phone?

John
lporter586
Hooked

No it is cordless, I don't have a corded one unfortunately to try it out with. Thanks for your help, I will have to call Plusnet in the morning!