cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband activation date

christ
Grafter

Broadband activation date

Would it be possible to find out the planned date of my broadband activation please?
I am a new customer and my phone line was activated yesterday (04/08/2014).
Also, I'm using my own modem-router. Would leaving it plugged into the phone line and switched on cause any issues with activation?
Thanks,
Chris
24 REPLIES 24
Acassim
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Broadband activation date

Hi Chris,
The good news is that your phone and broadband service were placed as a SIM order so both have completed at the same time. I've checked on the order and this appears to have gone ahead without an issue so you should now be able to connect with your username and password.
christ
Grafter

Hi Adam,
Thanks for the reply - I will check this evening when I get home  Smiley
My order tracker is still on Activating your line - Broadband orders typically take a week to complete - does this make any difference?
Cheers,
Chris
Acassim
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi again Chris,
It shouldn't be set in that status, I suspect that it wasn't pushed to the correct state either due to a lack of update from our supplier or it was overlooked by a member of our provisioning team. Either way, the order is showing as complete in the suppliers system and you should be fine to get connected when you return home.
christ
Grafter

Awesome, thanks again for your help Smiley
Chris
christ
Grafter

Hmm, definitely not connected yet. I guess I'll just have to wait and see.
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

I can see that you're connected now, I hope everything is working as expected.
christ
Grafter

Yes all working, thanks for asking.
My modem router states that the downstream rate is 1152kbps, which is a fair bit lower than I was hoping for. Is this likely to increase over the coming hours/days, or is that the maximum I'm likely to achieve (possibly due to bad house wiring etc)?
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 383

Hi christ, That 1152kbps looks suspiciously like a fixed speed or banded synch. Can you post the full router stats ?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

christ
Grafter

Ah thanks. I have a TP-Link TD-W8980 ADSL2+ modem router, and I'm not entirely sure which "stats" it is you're after, so I've attached a few screenshots that will hopefully help! If you need to know any other specific values, let me know what you're looking for and I'll try and find them!
Basic Status

DSL Settings

WAN Settings
goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 12

39.2dB on the downstream noise margin on the 17.8dB line attenuation is a joke really set by BT. The default for ADSL/ADSL2/ADSL2+ noise margin set by BT are 6dB.
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

It looks as though the agent who placed the initial order put you on a fixed rate product of 1Mb by mistake, I've placed a modify order to resolve this - I'd expect this to be resolved within the next 24 hours.
I've passed on feedback to the agents manager - really sorry this has happened 😕
goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro

Glad to see Chris Pettitt sort it out for u! Wink
christ
Grafter

Hah! Thanks Chris (and others for your replies)!
Having just switched to rural broadband from Virgin Media @ 152Mbps , I was feeling a bit sad that I could barely manage 1Mbps!
I'll report back to this thread within a day (or so) and let you know if it's improved.
Cheers!
goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro

Christ, does your exchange have 21CN enabled for ADSL2+, if so, then ADSL2+ will be better for u than ADSL as the ADSL will put u a profile capped of 7.15Mb as u more likely to get around 7Mbps throughput. For ADSL2+ u will get around 18Mbps or more! If all possible (FTTC is available) then I would get FTTC instead!