cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband, WiFi but no internet.

BigManPaul
Hooked

Broadband, WiFi but no internet.

The router lights are green for broadband and WiFi but the internet light is dead. Computers/phones/tablet have no access to any internet at all. I have tried the usual suggestions:

-try another ADSL filter
-reset router/factory reset/Turn off and back on after 10 minutes
-make sure the username is entered before @plusdsl

But to no avail. On the router page it says it is connecting but stuck. The button also gives the option to connect (rather than disconnect) and clicking it does nothing. I also found it strange that I could not access customer support through landline and when calling on mobile there was a minimum 30 minutes wait which I am not going through. Any help on here, checking my line would be greatly appreciated.
19 REPLIES 19
corringham
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 16

Re: Broadband, WiFi but no internet.

Do you have a dial tone on your landline? If not then report this as a phone fault.

BigManPaul
Hooked

Edit: there is a dial tone
Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29

BigManPaul
Hooked

Says they are offline and I’m currently using mobile data and safari so if there’s some setting I need to change would you mind helping me find them?
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

Is your phone working coreectly? Dial 17070. A recorded voice should tell you your phone number, check it is correct. 

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Yes as @Baldrick1 said, check for any noise on the line. Just to rule it out.

You could make a test call, or try 17070 option 2 which is better as you should hear nothing on the line rather than someone else's voice.

Also if you've not already done so, disconnect any extensions to rule out one being dodgy.

I've had noise on my line twice in the past, one was caused a dodgy extension, the other was a fault in the drop wire leading to my property which Openreach had to fix as nothing I can do about it. The noise was bad enough I could hear it over the dial tone, but I did a 17070 anyway.

EDIT: Yes it'll say "BT diagnostics .. circuit" then your phone number - so check that is correct too.

BigManPaul
Hooked

Ok so I messed up. Turns out the landline is down. Can somone who is a technut explain how landline effects broadband and give me steps on what to do next. I presume I must contact BT?
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

It's very simple, the broadband and telephone come into your property on the same copper wires. You need to report a phone fault to whoever supplies your phone service, which might or might not be Plusnet.

Until this is fixed you will not get any broadband service.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

BigManPaul
Hooked

Oh right okay thanks. In the meantime I had called Plusnet.Turns out they cancled the account without any reason. Must be a series of technical issues so it’s been put through to line manager. Thanks for help on here. Topic can be closed or snipped.
Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

@BigManPaul

No point in the mods locking the thread, as I don't see it breaking any forum rules.

You may as well leave it open and please let us know if it has fixed your problem and post back on here. Besides not only does it help yourself of course, but us in knowing what went wrong and what they did to (hopefully) fix it.

EDIT: As @Baldrick said you need to get your landline reconnected in the first case now, so now compain to EE. Hopefully you haven't lost your old landline number - hopefully that won't happen but you never know. I believe they are reserved for a certain amount of time after a disconnection, which sounds like what you've had.

Probably not much else PlusNet can do until you get your landline restored and try to retain your number if you wish. 

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

Where did EE come into the topic?

Has this line been slammed ... but no warning letter issued ... or is it a different mystery?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

BigManPaul
Hooked

EE came into this because I’m a moron and said I called EE when I was supposed to say Plusnet. I’m used to saying EE as they were the previous broadband provider I used. I’ve since edited the comment.

So for clarification. My router has broadband and WiFi light on but internet light is dead. After calling Plusnet it turns out they cancelled the account by mistake and explained it must had been a series of errors that lead to the false cancellation. This was yesterday, I would have hoped after saying it was put to high priority it would have been re-activated today but looks like not. Either way they said compensation for downtime will be reimbursed and they should be working on so hey ho.
Satss
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 37

Hi @BigManPaul I am sorry to hear about these issues.

After trying several times to locate your account I am unable to find it. Can you please private message me your username so I can look into this for you.

Thanks,

BigManPaul
Hooked

I’ve messaged you my broadband username Smiley