cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband Usage

Umbertoe

Broadband Usage

Plusnet fibre installed yesterday morning and the broadband meter shows 7.31gb for the day which is ridiculous. I downloaded a couple of large files for work, maximum of 1.5gb and then some fairly standard email traffic. No way it adds up to 7.31gb. Looks like I used about a gig overnight - midnight->8am, the wife watched a couple of programmes on iPlayer but again nowhere near a gig.
Today I'm showing 871mb, I've been out all day so that is pretty impressive.
Should I expect this thing to be anywhere near accurate?
5 REPLIES 5
snailspace171
Grafter

Re: Broadband Usage

I find it to be pretty accurate when compared to the traffic meter built in to my router.
are you sure one of your devices aren't doing updates / etc?
do you have the wifi security switched on, on your router? make sure nobody is stealing your wifi!
KevinA
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Just a thought on the Iplayer bit, with fibre its likely that Iplayer will have detected the increased bandwidth and given HD or at lease near HD steams this can easily add up to a couple of gig in an hour or so..
quelquod
Pro
Fixes: 1

I find the very opposite with the usage metering. I have frequently downloaded large amounts (films and catch-up) running well up the Gbs which register on Networx but sometimes don't seem to register on the 'view my broadband usage' page. Doesn't matter much as I am on unlimited, but I wonder why this is.
Democracy - 3 wolves and a lamb voting about what to have for lunch!
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Hi there,
It might be worth to make sure that your router has wireless security setup to make sure nobody else is piggybacking on your connection. Have a look through this guide to make sure all is OK.
Umbertoe

Thanks all, wifi is locked down.
I'm on unlimited so I guess it doesn't really matter, but I'll keep an eye on it.