cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband Speeds much slower over the past month

Kealan

Broadband Speeds much slower over the past month

Hello,
Over the past month or so I have noticed a significant drop in the speed of my broadband and it has stayed consistently slow.  Unfortunately I did not run any tests when the service was performing well so I am not sure what sort of speeds I used to receive or for that matter what I should be expecting. Speedtester results are as follows:
Your DSL Connection Rate: 1248 kbps (DOWN-STREAM), 448 kbps (UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is – 1000 kbps
Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was – 304 kbps
The performance drop is very noticeable with all types of internet traffic. I have the Force9 Broadband Your Way Option 2 package up to 8mb with a BT Voyager 2110 router and everything has been installed properly. Nothing has been changed with the set up since my broadband was running well and no virus/spyware problems have been found, so I don’t think this is likely to be causing the problem.  The exchange contention state for my area (Iver, Buckinghamshire) is also reported as Green.
I am not certain whether the speed I am getting is considered acceptable, but whether it is or not there has definately been a large and consistent drop in performance  with downloads speeds consistently between 300 and 333kbps after using a range of tests. I am also under the impression that upload speeds should generally be a lot slower than download speeds, but in the tests I have conducted the upload speeds tend to be around the same as the download speed or up to 60kbps higher.
I would be very grateful if someone could help me work out why this is happening and hopefully find a solution, as I would very much like to go back to the speeds I was previously receiving.
1 REPLY 1
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re: Broadband Speeds much slower over the past month

Hi Kealan,
I've had a look through your account and your line is syncing low with the exchange, this in turn is causing your IP profile to be dropped to 350. Have a read of the information and help on this page which should guide you in the right direction.
link:speed
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.