Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband Speed

spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Re: Broadband Speed

Load the pictures onto your computer, then do a post and click the + sign against Additional Options below the typing box. That will display an Attach line.
Click the Browse button and locate a photograph, then click Open to enter the file name into the address box. Click (more attachments) if you need to attach more than one photograph.
Post the reply as normal when you are ready.
David
Adi
Grafter

thanx
heres two angles of it
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Good morning Adi.
OK, your comments earlier, results from the test socket and now looking at this bird's nest in the linebox leaves me in no doubt that we most likely have a wiring problem. I say that because the connections are not done to the correct colour coding, and we have to check there are no faulty filters.
Before we go any further I will say that this has to be done in a careful,  methodical and logical way otherwise you could end up going round in circles and have no phone or broadband except at the test socket!
Do NOT rush to disconnect anything, we have to firstly find out where these various wires are coming from and going to, especially bearing in mind your comments about the previous phone lines. Also, ideally you could do with an IDC tool for connecting wires on the back of this faceplate (and maybe any other sockets that you need to use). Do you have a Telecoms /Maplins type store anywhere near you where you could get a plastic IDC Tool (or do you already have one)?
I'm going to give advice in several replies in case anyone chips in with things.
I repeat do NOT rush this.
Anotherone
Champion

OK, we're going to sort filters first.
(By the way, you have one of the older Lineboxes as it has all 6 IDC connections, not that it matters, as it's not the latest Openreach style).
I assume that the filter you used when connecting the router to the test socket was the one you normally use with the router and that a phone wasn't plugged into it at the time?
How many others do you have plugged in and how many have a phone, fax or anything else plugged in? I get the impression that you only have 1 phone plugged into the same filter as your router and nothing else, but filters plugged into other sockets. From now on don't get the filters mixed up.
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

First, I totally agree with the comments about doing it all VERY carefully AND doing filters first.
As I said earlier, have you put filters in ALL the extension sockets even if unused?
Looking at the photos, this is my possible interpretation:
1. You have 2 extensions elsewhere and the wiring colour codes used are non-standard (possibly because you once had 2 lines).
2. The bell wire is attached (terminal 3). This is a target for removal (later)
If possible, dare you now take off the next "layer" and post a photo of the back of the main plate - it SHOULD show the incoming line cable with 2 cores connected to screw terminals, but you never know! (As the router worked in the test socket it's pretty likely it's like that)
Finally, have a think whether you need the extensions. If not it would be good to plan to disconnect them.
Anotherone
Champion

Sorry HP, as I said earlier, do not disconnect anything yet.
What we are going to achieve at the end is any faulty or superfluous filter(s) or wiring not being connected.
Take your router with its filter to the Main Linebox.
Unplug every other filter etc from all other sockets (leave them by the sockets).
With the faceplate put back in postion, plug the router and its filter into the normal socket on the faceplate. See what sync speed and noise figure you are getting. If the speed is around what you got from the test socket, you've got a faulty filter somewhere, if your sync speed was very low (as you've been having) then you have a wiring problem. If the speed is OK, plug your phone into this filter to check it, your sync speed should not drop.
If all is OK, we can proceed to check the other filters.
paulrwselby
Dabbler

Hi All,
Hope nobody minds me butting in, Anotherone, you seem to be giving some great help to Adi.
The wiring does look wrong with the Or pr tacked across the blue.   may be helpful at some stage if the cables coming to the NTE5 could be seperated and identified, open all the other slave sockets and try and get the wiring straight.  Also get one slave socket sorted and the others dissed and see if that will work, if it does then Adi can move onto sorting the remaining ones out. 
Also if using modern phones then the terminal 3 bell wire can be left off (I hesitate to say the Orange pr as there is clearly an Or pr across the line).  It will be a lot easier to sort out one pair to all the sockets.
Adi,  I think you should get an IDC tool before you do too much messing with the wiring so you can remake the connections as and when necessary..the plastic ones are quite cheap and readily availacle from places that sell telephone accessories or Maplins.
Good luck...
Sorry guys just saw 2 more replies while I was typing...totally agree with all said....
Anotherone
Champion

If the wiring is the problem, you'll need to test the other filters here at the Main Linebox, if its not a problem, no point in messing with the wiring at this stage.
By the way keep some notes as things go along in case of a need to backtrack or double check anything. Don't forget to report back with my earlier queries about the number of filters etc.
@HP & @ Paul, what we need to remember here is Adi is not overly technical, so going one step at a time so to speak.
Regards.
HPsauce
Pro

Quote from: Anotherone
Sorry HP, as I said earlier, do not disconnect anything yet.

Exactly. I didn't say he should (yet).  Cheesy
paulrwselby
Dabbler

I also agree with not changing stuff yet....there is a chance that one of those wires may snap....may be prudent to be prepared.....
Not sure what the setp is in Ali's home and how many extensions.... a connection diagram may help of what colour wires go to what terminals on all the boxes....
Better safe than sorry..... Reading the thread again it certainly sounds as though the problem is down to faulty wire connections in the house...( crossed pairs etc.)
Would recommend making note of all connections before doing much else.
Anotherone
Champion

As Adi doesn't seem to be online at the moment, I'll just double check that when you do all this, you've got all your other filters unplugged upto this point, as per post #35.
If the wiring is the problem you could leave testing the other filters until later as it's then unlikely they're giving a problem, but for clarity we'll finish testing the filters here.
Go to your first extension socket and plug in the filter, check back on your router that the sync hasn't dropped, if OK plug your phone into the filter and check the sync again. If all OK, Unplug this filter and proceed to the next one and test in the same way, etc, until you've done them all. Note, if your sync drops at any point, which it might whilst plugging and unplugging, if it re-syncs at high speed OK but watch you don't get more than 5 events in an hour or it might worsen your target SNR. If, it re-syncs at low speed, you've found a faulty filter.
If however, things are still OK at the end of this, you got either an intermittent problem or maybe too many/or poor quality filters plugged in. By the way, you do not need, and should not, have filters plugged in to sockets that you are not using.
HPsauce
Pro

Quote from: Anotherone
By the way, you do not need, and should not, have filters plugged in to sockets that you are not using.

Based on personal experience and many comments from others I have to totally disagree with that.
Every socket needs a filter. If we can't agree I suggest he at least tests it with and without filters in the extension sockets (which sound like they are unused). Ideally, at some point, any unused extensions should be totally disconnected from the master socket.
James
Grafter

I've spoken a lot with some colleagues about this (some with far better faults knowledge than I have) and filters shouldn't be needed on unused sockets.
HPsauce
Pro

Please see here: http://community.plus.net/blog/2007/07/02/broadband-speed-faults-how-to-diagnose/
"It is also imperative that every used phone socket in your house has a filter attached, whether it is used or not, as failure to do this can cause interference between the analogue (normal voice phone) and digital (Broadband) signals. "
Anotherone
Champion

James, you are quite right, filters are not needed on unused sockets.
HP, if you read the quote it starts by saying "every used phone socket..."
It's misleading, I'm afraid.
However to get a little more technical, if the socket is on a stub, sometimes and I repeat, only sometimes it can "tune-up" the stub which can sometimes have detrimetal effects on performance (the stub can become more receptive to interference). There's also the additional "reactive" load (to try and use a more generic term) that can attenuate the BB signal. Very rarely, the "tune-up" can be benificial, but that is rare. The general rule of - the less junk connected to your line the better.
Edit: James it might be an idea if you could get that blog edited to clarify.