cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband Speed

Adi
Grafter

Re: Broadband Speed

oh yeah, so as im connected to the test socket, extensions not involved, i am getting 2.5mbps, the only way i can get faster is if my line is upgraded? which is not in my hands?
James
Grafter

Hi Adi,
Have you tried using a different router at all to see if this helps to improve your synchronisation speeds?  I've just run a check on your line and I would expect you to get better speeds than you are currently getting, so it could be hardware related.
qwentyman
Grafter

Many times I've seen what looks like the standard advice 'connect to the test socket, it may be your wiring.' I don't recall ever seeing a reply 'oh yes, thanks, that's sorted it.' In how many cases has it actually been 'the wiring'? Wink
dvorak
Fixes: 1,484

Well my wiring was certainly causing my speed to 50% of what it is now and there are plenty of examples on this and other forums i have seen...
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 3

Quote from: qwentyman
In how many cases has it actually been 'the wiring'? Wink

Loads and loads that I've been involved in on this and other forums.
So much so that it's almost always where I start with advice.
(1. Wiring 2. Wireless 3. MTU/RWIN)
James
Grafter

Quote from: qwentyman
Many times I've seen what looks like the standard advice 'connect to the test socket, it may be your wiring.' I don't recall ever seeing a reply 'oh yes, thanks, that's sorted it.' In how many cases has it actually been 'the wiring'? Wink

LOADS.
paulby
Grafter

@adi
You can replace your faceplate with one of these from ADSL nation. 
That should allow you to keep your improved speeds and reconnect all your extensions (which will be filtered at source). 
You said that one of the extensions went to a Sky box.  Was the box filtered at the other end? If Sky did the install they usually manage to connect their extension lead to the wrong side of the filter (i.e. before it instead of into the phone socket on the filter).  However, if you replace your faceplate you won't have that issue as the phone side will be filtered (also remember not to plug microfilters into your extensions if you fit a filtered faceplate!).
Adi
Grafter

ah ok i see and yeah it was filtered originally and i think the extension was put in by sky but we got it a number of years ago now.
i will try using a differnet router and see what happens then. the one i have is pretty old now.
would i be able to get a test one from u? or should i just go out and get a new one?
James
Grafter

Hi Adi,
If I send you one today it'll take about 3 days to turn up, so you'll probably receive it on Monday or tuesday, whereas if you nip to a shop you'll be able to get it today.
Let me know which option you'd prefer.
Adi
Grafter

ile see if my friend has a spare one or ile just nip down to maplin then
thanks Smiley
oh yeah one other thing, when we switched to BBYW2 we were told that my network was on 512kbps at the time, the line was 2.5mbps?
and what speeds are u expecting me to have on my line?
paulby
Grafter

@adi
Remember that, if you put your existing faceplate back on, you'll need to make sure that there's a filter in every phone socket that you've got something connected and double check that your Sky box is filtered (i.e. the phone line from the back of the Sky box goes into the phone outlet of a microfilter).  If it's hardwired to your faceplate then disconnect the phone wire from the back of the Sky box.
Adi
Grafter

ok got it, whats that product bt are testing that u put in the middle of the faceplate and the test socket that gets rid of the 'bell wire?' ?
will that by any chance help my case?
HPsauce
Pro

It's actually a new design of faceplate.
Easier to just remove the bell wire.
If you do actually need the bell wire at a particular point just put a decent filter there, it recreates the signal locally - I've done that myself for one specific phone (I've a filtered faceplate and all bell wires removed)
paulby
Grafter

It's called an Interstitial Plate or, more snappily, an iPlate!  It's fitted between the test socket and your current face plate.
See this article on TBB.
What it doesn't do, however, is remove the need for a filter in every socket that you have something connected.
HPsauce
Pro

I stand corrected - brain fade strikes again.  Crazy