I had noticed a problem with my broadband but just assumed it was my contract. Thankfully my cousin has come to stay with me for a few days and he has run some tests across my service and my Download Speeds are averaging 0.85mbps and my upload speeds 0.28mbps. The ping latency is around 54.25. This means nothing to me, but he tells me its considered snails pace broadband. He has reset my router, reset it back to factory setttings and changed the only two filters I have on my system but none of it has changed the situation. I don't have another router to try so am unable to go down that route. He tells me that the Thomson router that I have was first used by o2 for their system and that it should have been thrown out with the ARK. Its an inferior router and does not provide the scope and functionality that the new mainstream routers provide. All this means nothing to me at all as IT is not one of my skills whereas he has over 40 years of computer skill. I understand that I am not getting the speed that I should be getting and we did follow the Plusnet troubleshooter path to the point whereby we got to the message about charging to resolve the issue, but then cam to a complete stop. My cousin is of the opinion that it could be the router but as I do not have the ability to test that option I just do not know what to do next.
Re: Broadband Speed
Re: Broadband Speed
I've just tested your line and noticed a couple of things:
|Upstream DSL Link Information||Downstream DSL Link Information|
|Maximum Stable Rate (KBPS):||2848||Fault Threshold Rate (KBPS):||2278|
|Mean Time Between Retrains (Seconds):||28654||Mean Time Between Errors Upstream (Seconds):||6140|
|Indicative Line Quality:||G||Mean Time Between Errors Downstream (Seconds):||85962|
First of all the SNR margin is very high, this increases to try and help keep the line stable, normally starting at a target of 6db and increasing in 3db increments. As yours is at 16.8 this suggests a target of 15db, which is much higher than normal.
Secondly the upload on your line is showing as capped, this means you can get some more speed from the upload on your service when I resolve this.
So to fix these I'm going to put an SNR reset request through, this will push your target SNR back to 6db and therefore increase the speed your line is connected at. This take a couple of hours to complete, normally within 15 minutes.
I'm also going to place an order to uncap the upload speed on your line, this should complete on Monday.
| Chris Parr|