Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband Speed

Basil
Dabbler

Broadband Speed

Hallo Plusnet,

Can someone please look at my line/connection speeds. I have been through the Master socket connection stuff as advised by CS three times now with no change. I am lucky to get a 2Mbs download speed but as you can see by the attached picture of the BT diagnostics my line is capable of a good bit more. The profile did briefly go up to 5 then dropped back. I gave up with this some time ago as I was so fed up with constantly having to move the router to the master socket, to no change. I have been advised that my speed should be much better than I am currently getting.

Cropped - Screenshot 2016-09-04 at 103938 AM.jpg

28 REPLIES 28
geek26
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: Broadband Speed

Thanks for posting!

Edit: as you have been told you can get higher speed this needs to be raised as a speed fault at: faults.plus.net

PeeGee
Pro
Fixes: 3

The "acceptable range" defines the range where the line is performing at an "acceptable" speed and your test speed/profile is within that range, which means a broadband fault will not be investigated.

Have you done a quiet line test (dial 17070 option 2), preferably with the phone in the test socket, to test for noise which, if present, will allow you to report a phone fault to your phone provider - do not mention boadband if it is not plusnet.

Phil

Plusnet FTTC (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
Using a TP-Link Archer VR600 modem-router.
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

The "acceptable range" says nothing about whether the DSL connection rate of 3.14 Mbps is any good or not for what the line should be achieving. Likewise, the "Max Achievable Speed" shown by that speedtester is not an indication of what the line might be capable of. Essentially, it's just an arbitrary (and misleading) upper limit for the graphic.

The speedtest result of 2.35 Mbps is about right for the IP Profile of 2.5 Mbps.

hitchhiker43
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

I am afraid the speedtest is simply that, it tells you what speed your line is running at, it may tell you if it's been capped but it will never tell you WHY your line is running at that speed.

For that you need to get at your DSL stats from your router/modem and re-produce them here so people can tell you the WHY.

Typically these should include snr, attenuation, error rate and sync speed for up and down directions.

Tp-link W8960n on longgggggggg line!
Basil
Dabbler

Thanks for your reply. I have done the quiet line test which suggests that the line is "clean" i.e. silent. Phone provider is Plusnet.

Basil
Dabbler

It was CS that told me that in theory at least my speed should be better. The profile was upped to 5 which lasted a few hours but dropped back overnight with no explanation.

Basil
Dabbler

Thanks for your reply hitchhiker43

My router is a Netgear DGND3700v2. I have dug around in the various options but as I'm unsure what I'm looking for I don't know how to supply the info for: "Typically these should include snr, attenuation, error rate and sync speed for up and down directions."

hitchhiker43
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

Astonishing! I have just read through the manual for your router and indeed it has no such facility so completely useless for determining any line related faults. I thought it was only the ISP provided routers that did that, I didn't realize there were other useless for diagnostics routers around, I shall have to be careful if my old faithful ever needs to be replaced. Sorry but without those figures I for one couldn't tell you what might be wrong.

Tp-link W8960n on longgggggggg line!
Basil
Dabbler

Many thanks for your efforts anyway hitchhiker43 Smiley

Basil
Dabbler

Not sure if this is relevant - especially the "Fixed Rate".

Taken by using: http://dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.TelephoneNumberOutput

Cropped - Screenshot 2016-09-05 at 83447 AM.jpg

geek26
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

It shows your below the expected range for your line with 2.5mbps have you raised the speed fault for investigation as without all the revelavent checks been completed I can't say weather this is just the speed your going to get or if there is a fault.

Espically considering you have seen higher speeds on your line

Basil
Dabbler

Thanks for your answer geek26I  have gone through the Plusnet reporting Q&A  and am awaiting a result/response.

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

It's worth keeping in mind that this is a 20CN line, so the DLM and speed profiles work in a different way to 21CN (they don't apply instantly and normally take around 72 hours to update).

Testing your line isn't showing any obvious faults, the speed is below where I'd expect it though:

Upstream DSL Link Information Downstream DSL Link Information
Loop Loss: 26.5 41
SNR Margin: 13.5 9
Errored Seconds: 0 0
HEC Errors: 0 0
Cell Count: 949773 222317
Speed: 448 3136

You've been connected for 10 days straight. Can you try a single disconnect and reconnect and post back when you've done it.

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Basil
Dabbler

Thanks Chris. I have done the disconnect/reconnect. I've no idea what

"It's worth keeping in mind that this is a 20CN line, so the DLM and speed profiles work in a different way to 21CN (they don't apply instantly and normally take around 72 hours to update)." means, only a possible fix. CS have told me on several occasions "the speed is below where I'd expect it though" but despite various attempt to fix this I have never seen any improvement other than the brief increase, which if memory serves correctly was done by CS, some time ago. I gave up previously as every time I tried to get this sorted a different CS person would restart the procedure with the dreaded Master Socket routine that had already been done ad nauseum with no tangible results. This is no slight on CS other than telling me I should have better speed but not actually providing it, which is just a little frustrating.