cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband Speed problems-please help!

vrhron

Broadband Speed problems-please help!

I have a Thomson router TG585 v8 using Windows 7.
I haven't raised a ticket yet but would like some advice..
2 months ago my broadband speed went from an average 5mb/s to 0.3 mb/s, with many disconnections (it topped about 12 times in a day). Plusnet said there was a copper line fault when tested whereas BT said there wasn't. After some lengthy communications with both (with plusnet turning 'interleaving' on and doing a SNR reset) with little improvement (maybe less disconnections but no improvement in speed) a BT openreach engineer was scheduled to call in.
The day before he arrived my broadband speed suddenly became perfect -  a download speed of 17-18 mb/s upload of 0.35  mb/s (a download speed I never thought this line could do). The engineer came anyway, who found nothing wrong with the exception that I had no master socket which he put in and the line was tee'd which although "not a serious problem can cause issues" per the engineer. This was sorted out by the engineer. Since before the engineer came till yesterday I have been getting speeds to 16mb/s to 20mb/s (maximum reached from a speed checker of 20.9 mb/s)
As of yesterday , the speed has dropped to  download of  0.3 to 1 mb/s and has remained this way. The router hasn't disconnected at all in 37 days and I list the router info which not being that IT minded I have no idea what all this means (searching these items don't give simple definitions of what this all means)
Uptime :37 days 47:51:38
DSL Type: G.992.5 annex A
Maximum bandwidth
(Up/Down) (kbps/kbps)  888/20380
Bandwidth (Up/Down)
(kbps/kbps):                  440/20,226
Data Transferred
(Sent/Received)            2.33/36.34
(GB/GB):
Output Power (Up/Down)
(dBm):                            12.0/16.0
Line Attenuation
(Up/Down) (dB):            8.5/17.5
SN Margin (Up/Down)
(dB):                                29.5/0.5
Vendor ID
(Local/Remote):              TMMB/IFTN
Loss of Framing
(Local/Remote):              0/0
Loss of Signal
(Local/Remote):              524,283/0
Loss of Power
(Local/Remote):              0/0
Loss of Link (Remote):    0
Error Seconds
(Local/Remote):              19/0
FEC Errors (up/down)    180,158/1,200,280,228
CRC Errors (up/down)    1,249/1,467,676
HEC Errors (up/down)      1,368,653,824/2,004/306
I believe interleaving is still on. Anyone got any suggestions of what could be wrong?
Vince
25 REPLIES 25
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Broadband Speed problems-please help!

As a first guess your downstream noise margin of 0.5dB is creating an enormous number of errors which is liable to cripple your download speed.
I suggest a router resync and then do another speed test -- it would also be worth posting the stats after the resync
voyager
Dabbler
Fixes: 1

Hello,
I have the same problem as vrhron. Since c. 2 weeks my downstream is about 0.2 MB - too slow! Upstream is reliable at c. 0.9 MB.
Below is my current ADSL protocol.
What could be the problem?
Regards
Andrea

Line Mode ADSL2+  Line State Show Time 
Latency Type Interleave    Line Up Time 00:01:42:27 
Line Coding Trellis On  Line Up Count 3 
Line Power State L0       

Statistics Downstream Upstream 
Line Rate 15323 Kbps 1176 Kbps 
Noise Margin 15.1 dB 6.2 dB 
Line Attenuation 9.5 dB 3.5 dB 
Output Power 0.0 dBm 11.8 dBm 
MSGC (number in overhead channel data) 59 10 
B (number of bytes in Mux Frame) 238 54 
M (number of Mux Frames in FEC Frame) 1 4 
T (Mux Frames over sync bytes) 2 3 
R (number of check bytes in FEC Frame) 16 6 
S (ratio of FEC over PMD Frame length) 0.4980 5.9474 
L (number of bits in PMD Frame) 4096 304 
D (interleaver depth) 64 4 
Super Frames 379744  379742 
Super Frame Errors 0  0 
RS Words 49366796  6455614 
RS Correctable Errors 36  0 
RS Uncorrectable Errors 0  0 
HEC Errors 0  0 
OCD Errors 0  0 
LCD Errors 0  0 
ES Errors 0  0 
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Hello Andrea,
Does Current line speed in the Member Centre here say 13.5Mbps or a much smaller number? In the latter case did your stats (the information you posted) show a much smaller Downstream line rate before you restarted the router a couple of hours ago?
If that is the case it is possible that the problem will rectify itself in a day or so. You could ring the CSC to ask for Current line speed to be manually increased but might be asked to wait due to the short time since router restart.
Regards, David
David
voyager
Dabbler
Fixes: 1

Hello David,
at your link I get the following information:
Estimated line speed:
Not recorded (service activated before we introduced estimates).
Current line speed:
0.25 Mb
Sorry I have no earlier stats. It's just strange, that the upstream seems to be ok, while downstream seems to be cut off. Could it be, that it is slowed down by plusnet on purpose?
Regards, Andrea
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Hi vrhron,
Can you check your Current Line speed (Login required).
Also run the BT Speedtester (Diagnostic), no need to reboot again for the test, just make sure you don't have any downloads going on or other programs running. Just put your phone number in the box, and click the right places.
Oh, and welcome to the Forum.
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Quote from: voyager
Current line speed:
0.25 Mb

Hello Andrea,
It is that Current line speed setting that is the cause of your low speeds. It's difficult to be sure why the value is that low without the previous stats (don't worry, not a problem) or information staff have available. Plusnet won't deliberately be restricting you - that's not the sort of thing they do.
The main thing is to get the value increased to the 13.5Mb it should say. It's possible that might happen automatically within a day or so, though due to problems with the system might not do. In that case Plusnet staff would have to change it for you. The CSC can do this for you if you give them a call (0800 432 0200) though they might want to see a stable connection for at least a day before they'd do the change. The Digital Care Team who monitor these forums might do it sooner but most likely it will be Monday before they are here again.
So up to you - either wait for a day or so or call in; your choice.
Regards. David
David
vrhron

Hi all,
My line seems to have speeded up again without doing anything - now approximately 13mb/s.  This is all very strange!
Using links:-
Plusnet line speed 17.80 mb/s
BT Speedtest
11.82 mb/s out of 21mb/s max
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Hi Andrea,
David has just given me a quick nudge in your direction. I have changed the Speed Profile on our internal systems  for your line which should take effect once you drop the connection and reconnect.
You can this by doing the following:
1. Go to http://voyager.home or http://192.168.1.1
2. You may be asked for a Username and Password, generally this is by default, admin and admin respectively.
3. Once logged in, click the 'Disconnect' button, please wait 10 seconds and click the 'Connect' button.
As your broadband connection is ADSL2+ please ensure that your router is ADSL2+ compatible (it should say this on the underneath of your router). If your router is not ADSL2+ compatible you may encounter a few issues with your connection.
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi vrhron,
Could please post up your router statistics whilst it is working as it should do please? Your SNR may be fluctuating, going very low when you are seeing issues and when your speeds go back up, I assume your SNR value is around the 3db mark?
vrhron

Hi,
Thanks for the reply
I got a disconnection earlier today. I rebooted the router and I am getting around 12mb/s download. Here are the stats now:-

Uptime:0 days, 4:57:18
DSL Type:G.992.5 annex A
Maximum Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]:888 / 19,728
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]:440 / 16,461
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/GB]:57.64 / 1.11
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]:12.5 / 16.0
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]:8.5 / 17.0
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]:30.0 / 6.5
Vendor ID (Local/Remote):TMMB / IFTN
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote):0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote):0 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down):0 / 1,137
CRC Errors (Up/Down):32 / 1
HEC Errors (Up/Down):7 / 0

Anotherone
Champion

Hmm, whilst in some respects that look better, I have a suspicion that you could have some noise/interference on your line.
Can your hear any crackling or other noises on the line when using the phone or had any other problems with incoming or outgoing calls?
The Disconnect you experienced earlier was that a loss of sync or just your Plusnet PPP Internet session?
If there was no loss of sync, it could have been your Plusnet Current Line Speed updating. I don't know if Chris Pettitt can see what time it updated?
Your very low throughput speed that you've recently experienced may have been due to a low sync event which would have caused you Plusnet Current Line speed to drop to a low value to match a BT profile to match such a low sync speed. Again I don't know if Chris can check and see if such an event occurred, otherwise it may have just been a one-off gremlin. Apart from the speedtest result, did you notice anything else that appeared to be slow?
I don't know if Chris can  help out with a Connection chart (graphical Radius log) which may show something?
The only other thing I can think of right now is., did you plug anything in to your line yesterday? Is anything plugged in anywhere that is not connected via a filter? (eg. a Sky box or similar, a fax machine ...)
Oh, and Interleaving appears to still be on.
Edit: Your line should be capable of getting 17-18Mbps downloads, why do you think it couldn't do it?
vrhron

Hi,
I get very occasional crackles on the line but nothing over the past few days although I haven't been on the phone much lately. There have been no other phone problems.
The disconnection was a loss of sync.
Nothing new is plugged in lately and nothing is plugged in without a filter.
I've lived here for 6 years and until my previous slow speed/disconnections I never had a speed higher than 6-7 mb/s. I assumed this was all I could get!!
Thanks for your help.
Vince
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi,
I can't see any information other than what has been posted on here. I'd be happy to take a look into things on Monday for you?
Anotherone
Champion

No worries Chris,  just a Connection chart might be helpful.