cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband Speed it too slow

kbm104
Hooked

Broadband Speed it too slow

Hi my broadband speed is 3mb which is too slow for zoom calls or to use my laptop and stream music at the same time. I called Plusnet help yesterday and was told there was nothing they could do which isn't true. My broadband has never been this slow from any provider I've had in the last ten years of living here. My last provider's speed was 40mb. It's never been below 11mb.

Can anyone help otherwise I'm locked into a 12 month package and paying for broadband which is pretty much useless to me. My phone data is faster.

20 REPLIES 20
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

Re: Broadband Speed it too slow

@kbm104 welcome to the forums. Are you on an ADSL or FTTC contract with PN?

Whoever you spoke to yesterday needs further training, anyway.

John
kbm104
Hooked

Hi John, I'm not sure what you mean. I'm on unlimited broadband which is, I believe ASDL he said they are using BT lines which are ASDL as far as i'm aware. He asked me to change channels which I did and it's now even slower, was 6mb before that. I had a zoom call which just kept saying that my bandwidth was too low. I can't stream music and search the internet at the same time now.

Thank you

jab1
Legend

OK - now I'm confused.😉 If you had 40Mb/s speeds (i.e. FTTC) with previous suppliers, why downgrade to ADSL with Plusnet?

They use the BT infrastructure irrespective of the connection method, so that is an irrelevant comment.

Are you using a Plusnet supplied modem/router, and if so, which one - that way we can at least establish which service you are on.

John
kbm104
Hooked

I'm with Plusnet, I'm using a Plusnet router. I'm on Plusent Unlimited Broadband. The router has nothing written on it apart from Plusnet.

jab1
Legend

I know you are with PN. The router will have some identification on it underside. Why did you swap from Fibre with a previous provider to ADSL with Plusnet?

I am trying to help here, but not getting much in the way of useful feedback.

John
kbm104
Hooked

Hi John, It's really kind of you to offer to help. I'm doing my best to answer your questions. I'm not sure how it concerns you my reasons for downgrading as I'm asking how to get a quicker service on the provider I'm currently with. I swapped providers from what I was on to Plusnet Unlimited Broadband but it wasn't because of problems with speed if that's why you want to know. 

The router has the WIFI password etc on the underside as I explained to you up thread, there is no other identifying info for example there is no serial number. If you are more specific in what you need to know about the router I can tell you for example, what identifying marks or numbers are you looking for? My router has:

WIFI network

WIFI password

Router address

Router password

That's all the information on it John. There is no serial number or other identifying information I can give you. It's a Plusnet router I was sent.

It is a small white and pink Plusnet routers for my unlimited broadband. It has no identifying marks as to which type of router it is. Like I said, it's a plusnet router.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

@kbm104 

If you are on ADSL umlimited broadband your maximum speed is about 20Mbps but can be as low as you are experiencing. If you want 40Mbps you need to pay for the fibre service.

@jab1 is trying to work out which you are paying for. What does your welcome email tell you? These pictures show your the hub options to enable you to identify which you have. If it's a 2704n (Hub Zero) then you are defininitely on the slow ADSL service. https://www.plus.net/help/broadband/router-setup-guides/

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

jab1
Legend

@kbm104 I'm not concerned about your reasons for downgrading your service when you switched suppliers - that is your choice, but to say you had 40Mb/s speed with them on an FTTC connection and expect the same on ADSL is not possible.

I am assuming that as you are on ADSL you will have been supplied with a Hub '0' /2704N router, and that will do - no more questions on that.

In an attempt to help you - and don't take this wrong, please - what is your level of knowledge about how the system works - are you someone who just plugs everything in and hope it functions, or can you follow simple troubleshooting instructions?

John
kbm104
Hooked

I'm not expecting 40mb speeds. I was having the discussion with customer service yesterday where they said the speed i was on was the highest it would go. I was explaining that I have had speeds a lot higher than 3mb The highest is 40mb and the lowest is 11mb. My speed is now 3mb so I'm trying to explain that it's not my property that is the problem here.

Just to be clear - I don't expect 40mb. I just want to be able to stream music, search the internet and download things quicker than 7 hours.

The router from the pictures given is 2704n 

I can troubleshoot, no problem but don't understand all the acronyms.

kbm104
Hooked

@jab1 is trying to work out which you are paying for.

I'm paying for unlimited broadband. I have said this over and over again. Plusnet offer: Unlimited Fibre Extra/Unlimited Fibre/Unlimited Broadband - I have unlimited broadband. I don't have fibre.

jab1
Legend

@kbm104 wrote:

I can troubleshoot, no problem but don't understand all the acronyms.

OK. In that case, to start with can you post a screenshot of this result please, ensuring it doesn't show your phone number:

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

and also this one: https://speedtest.btwholesale.com/ ,but please make sure you run the 'additional diagnostics' and only post that result.

John
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

@kbm104 

And we are saying over and over that you can't make a comparison between what you got with fibre and the speed that you will get on ADSL. At this risk of repeating myself yet again, when you signed up you would have received an email telling you your expected speed on this service. What did it say?

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

BD
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 86

Hi @kbm104, thanks for getting in touch and I'm sorry to hear you're been having speed issues as of recent.
I can see you've been in contact again with one of our advisors recently and they look to have identified that the signal strength for you line looks to be set too low given the length of your line and they've bumped this up this afternoon for you. The effect this has on your connection should be pretty immediate and I can see currently we're getting 10.3Mbps download to your router which looks to towards the higher end of the 4.5 - 11Mbps download estimates we have for the ADSL on your line.

I'd advise moving forwards, should you have further speed issues to try doing both a wired speed test and wireless speed test as this may help us identify further if there's an underlying wireless issue also which we can advise on.

I can confirm looking over the options of products available for your line (on https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com) it looks like Fibre to the cabinet (FTTC) is an option showing and presumably something you were on previously with another provider that allowed you to reach the 40Mbps download speeds mentioned. Unfortunately the current ADSL product you're on does have it's limits and I beleive the speeds we're seeing currently reach the router are right around those limits. I'd advise if it's looking like you need a faster fibre product again though given your needs and usage of the internet to perhaps consider upgrading your broadband with us to one of our fibre products. this can be done by giving our Customer Options Team a call who should be able to talk you through both fibre options and what deals and offers would be available when upgrading.

They are contactable directly on 0800 013 2632 and they are open between the following hours:

Monday - Friday: 08:00 - 20:00
Saturday: 09:00 - 19:00
Sunday: 09:00 - 18:00

I hope this helps.

kbm104
Hooked

https://www.plus.net/broadband/

If you take a look at the Unlimited Package it says 10mb is the average download speed.

I didn't make a comparison between what I had on fibre.  I knew that the average speed is usually around 10 and I was getting 3. I didn't expect 40mb without having fibre.