cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband Speed dropped by a third, no dial tone

markharrop

Broadband Speed dropped by a third, no dial tone

Hi there,
We're on the Amotherby (Malton) exchange, and since last night have been experiencing problems with our internet connection.
DSL line speed is down to less than 1MB (is usually more that 3MB) and we have no dial tone on the phone.
I've checked with two different phones on different sockets, plugged directly in with no router attached.
We still have broadband even though there is no dial tone. We're in a very poor mobile signal area, so I'm unable to call the support line.
Also the broadband checker service is offline.
Is there a known problem on this exchange or in this area? The support page says all is fine in my area for broadband and phone...
Thanks,
Mark
14 REPLIES 14
JayG
Pro
Fixes: 6

Re: Broadband Speed dropped by a third, no dial tone

This sounds very much like the problem a friend of mine had a few months ago - the phone line was dead but the broadband was just about working - broadband can limp along with only one of the two wires connected, the phone can't.
Make sure nothing seems untoward as far as your internal sockets and connections are concerned, and then you will have to find a means to report the fault to your phone provider, possibly a friendly neighbour if you can't use your mobile or the web.
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Sorry to hear your having issues.
We can't raise a fault to our suppliers at the moment as their systems are down for maintenance but as soon as they come back up we'll get it raised.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
markharrop

Thanks, I spoke to one of our neighbour's who said there phone also has no dial tone, so it would seem to be a line problem.
Hopefully the supplier can trace the fault.
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Our tests are showing that there's a Earth Contact fault so there's definitely a issue.
You'll get a text later when it's gone through to our suppliers.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

Quote from: markharrop
I spoke to one of our neighbour's who said there phone also has no dial tone

That sounds like a 'common cable' issue somewhere and could take days for BTOR to fix, especially if road works are involved.  Either BT Retail or BTOR have a web page listing major faults - I cannot find the link at the moment - that might identify your fault and ETA to fix.  In such curcumstances, a CP getting information in relation to the individual's line can be both difficult and inaccurate.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Our suppliers systems are back up so I've raised this to them.
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

If you know of someone with BT Retail whose line is down, you can poke the number in here https://secure.business.bt.com/FaultManagement/Online/FaultReport.aspx?faultType=Business+PSTN+Servi...

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

markharrop

According to the support call the line fault was supposed to have been resolved by the external supplier yesterday at the latest.
The phone line is still down, the line speed is still slow and there's been no communication from BT or Plus.net regarding the status of the problem, or when it might be resolved.
nightstalk3r
Rising Star

My line is having the same issue, no dial tone and slow broadband, was supposed to have been fixed by Tuesday yet here we are on Thursday still not fixed and no word from either BT or Plusnet either.
dick:quote
markharrop

This was fixed, and the call closed. I was without a phone line from the 17th of September to the  2nd week of October, with very slow internet speeds.
When I received the bill for the period I was charged full line rental, despite having no phone line for the best part of three weeks and a fraction of the usual connection speed.
The call is closed with no way of updating it. It hardly seems reasonable to charge rental on a line that is not available.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

I'm shocked to see no update from CRT on this thread - normally an adjustment is made for extended down time - I'm unsure if this is automatic or has to be asked for?

pint
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Quote from: markharrop
This was fixed, and the call closed. I was without a phone line from the 17th of September to the  2nd week of October, with very slow internet speeds.
When I received the bill for the period I was charged full line rental, despite having no phone line for the best part of three weeks and a fraction of the usual connection speed.
The call is closed with no way of updating it. It hardly seems reasonable to charge rental on a line that is not available.

I was in the same situation, although not for quite as long.
the most infuriating thing was trying to get in touch with CS on the phone complete with the irritating message to check under the router for the password.
Plusnets customer support/faults team rely needs to up its game, those customers with no phone service should be filtered  and placed at a much much higher priority than those with basic problems and issues such as cant find their WiFi password. a basic phone voice service is much more important than internet access
HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

Quote from: Townman
I'm shocked to see no update from CRT on this thread - normally an adjustment is made for extended down time - I'm unsure if this is automatic or has to be asked for?

It has to be done manually, looks like Mark contacted us via chat a few days after his last post in this thread and the refund was issued.
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
Tideclock
Grafter

to be honest it should be automatic