Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband Speed difference compared to neighbours

alex456
Hooked

Broadband Speed difference compared to neighbours

Hello there,

Hoping somebody can give some advice to a simpleton, have been with plusnet for just over a month, and so far pretty good, connection is around a pretty steady 8MB and has been since the day go, all wired as instructed to the master socket using the filter provided (router is a 2704n)

My question is that we are pretty close to the green cabinet, which is literally just across the road, and next door, and next door but one who are not with plusnet, are getting 14 & 15MB, the latter is opposite the cabinet)

Is there any reasons for this, or is there something I am doing wrong?  Next door is literally a couple of footsteps from our house so I don't understand why their speed varies so much to ours?

Any help is much appreciated 

Thanks

Alex

10 REPLIES 10
wayyoung
Rising Star

Re: Broadband Speed difference compared to neighbours

I imagine it'd be unlikely but there's no guarantee that you're both connected to the same cabinet, or have the same route to the cabinet. If you stick your phone number in here -https://www.dslchecker.bt.com and do the same with your neighbours number it'll give you confirmation of this.

It may also come down to the pure quality of the line and if there was any previous damage, repairs etc, or any interference within close proximity of your own equipment within your home.

Really, there could be a million reasons as to the difference.

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Three posts released from Spam Filter and two duplicates removed.

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

What speeds does it say when you put your phone number in the https://www.dslchecker.bt.com ?

alex456
Hooked

Hello- I have attached what I get, I asked my neighbour to do the same but theirs does not give them a result, neither does next door.  They have only had their broadband connected just over a week which I assume has something to do with it?

alex456
Hooked

Got the attached of my account too.

Moderator's note by Dick (Strat) Personal information edited out of attached image.

wayyoung
Rising Star

Then I would suggest their broadband/telephone is possibly not supplied by BTW. If it was they would have received some sort of a result. You could try using the address checker rather than using a phone number?  Perhaps they use cable (Virgin) or Wireless broadband? They would then need to contact their supplier with the query.

But without further info, and ideas would only be speculation I'm afraid.

SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

@alex456

You may want to edit that picture as it clearly shows your Plusnet username 

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
alex456
Hooked

Thanks for coming back to me, can't get Virgin on our road, they are with Sky, next door to them BT.  Just seems odd to me

I tried the address checker with both mine and theirs, neither produced a result!

Thanks Moderator also for editing my image.

wayyoung
Rising Star

Perhaps someone else has a suggestion but it sounds like a localised issue to me and I'm not sure why you get no results on that checker.

There could be many reasons why you both have different speeds. Could be line quality, material and length. Perhaps water ingress or historical damage on the line. Possibly internal wiring or interference or network typology may be a reason.

Wish I could be more helpful but too many parameters to consider with little info.
alex456
Hooked

Again thanks for coming back to me, only thing I can add is that its a new build estate, we cannot get fibre at present which I would assume will come later down the line, but other than that like you say not much to really go on.

I would assume by contacting customer services by phone I would get the same answer?

wayyoung
Rising Star

Ah! I've heard of  issues with new builds taking time to have fibre connections made and that may explain why you get nothing using the BT checker.

I would doubt CS would have any more info TBH. But you could ask OR - https://www.homeandwork.openreach.co.uk/get-in-touch.aspx