Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband Speed and SNR Margin

mike0381
Grafter

Broadband Speed and SNR Margin

Hi    Wink

I only got my new phone line and broadband a couple of weeks ago.  It started off with a constant 2mb connection which is acceptable due to my distance from the exchange.  I had a few occasional disconnects, a couple a day, but it didn't last long and wasn't really a problem.  The thing, is I notice my download speed has fallen every time the line disconnects/reconnects and now sits at 1.5mb.  This is a bit slow for my needs.  The SNR Margin has fallen from about 9db to 12.5db which probably explains the lower download speed.  Also there were a couple of times this evening when I had a power cut in my house and that contributed to the noise margin falling.
I am using an old Speedtouch 580 router (didn't think there was a need to upgrade), and connect directly to the master socket.
Here are some stats:
Link Information
Uptime: 0 days, 0:36:20
Modulation: G.992.1 Annex A
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 448 / 1,952
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/MB]: 2.80 / 10.67
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.5 / 16.5
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 31.5 / 60.0
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 14.0 / 12.5
Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / TSTC
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 2 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 2,165
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 9
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 2

Thanks in advance for any help you can give!
104 REPLIES 104
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Broadband Speed and SNR Margin

Hi mike0381,
How is your kit set up? Are you using any extension cables/sockets? Do you have a test socket? I could set the SNR down to 6dB but unless we find out why it's raised then it can be quite fruitless.
Jojo Smiley
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

If you get a lot of power cuts (or brown-outs that cause the router to drop the connection) it might be worth getting a UPS.
E.g. http://www.ebuyer.com/113906-apc-back-ups-es-400-ac-230v-400va-8-output-connectors-be400-uk
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
mike0381
Grafter

Hi Jojo,
Thanks for your reply.  Basically my kit comprises of a master socket with a 7 metre extension cable, and from there it is plugged into the router via high quality microfilter.  I'm sure I do have a test socket although I have never tried it!  How would I know if it works?  Do I have to leave it in the test socket for any length of time?
The wiring in my house is all brand new, and I made sure I bought high quality connection cables to give me the best chance of success.  The only thing that is old is the router.  I don't have another one to try, but it is possible I could borrow one as a last resort.
And thanks Jelv, that UPS idea is great, might have to invest in one!  I live in the countryside so I am prone to power cuts.

Undecided
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Extension cables are often bad news. Is it a flat cable or twisted pairs? If it is the former it is probable that that will cause issues. Siting the router by the master socket and then using a long ethernet cable is a far better option.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi mike0381,
You really could do with putting it into the test socket. Using extensions can cause big trouble and I certainly wouldn't suggest resetting the SNR while the set up is like that.
Jojo Smiley
mike0381
Grafter

Hmmm, interesting, unfortunately the master socket was put in the most inconvenient place for sitting a router next to it.  I didn't know that flat extension cables can cause problems.  When I bought it however, flat is the only type I could find, couldn't find a twisted pair one!
Jojo....I understand your point.  How long do I have to leave it in the test socket for?
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Several days and if it cures the problem, permanently!
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Quote from: mike0381
I didn't know that flat extension cables can cause problems.  When I bought it however, flat is the only type I could find, couldn't find a twisted pair one!

Put the filter in to the master socket and then buy something like this to replace the filter to router cable: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10m-ADSL2-High-Speed-Broadband-Modem-Cable-RJ11-/380326860445?pt=UK_Comput...
mike0381
Grafter

Hi, thanks a lot for your help.  I'll get hold of one of those cables and do exactly what you said, then hopefully we can reset the SNR and all will be OK.  Roll_eyes
For now I have found a temporary home for the router and plugged it (with microfilter) directly in to the test socket.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

HI mike0381,
I'll reset it now then, can take 24 hours, so I'll see if it's worked in the morning for you.
Jojo Smiley
mike0381
Grafter

Thanks Jo.  Since you've reset it,  I've had a number of disconnections this evening and it now downloads at under half a meg, and seems to have settled there.  I'm hoping this may improve?  All I'm after is the 2 megabytes download speed I had at the beginning.
I know the line attenuation of 61db doesn't help.  It seems to go between 60 and 61.
And the SNR has now just gone from 6.5db to 10db.

Thanks again for all your assistance with my problem Jo.  Smiley

mike0381
Grafter

Some router stats this morning.  Hmmmmm.  It's been like that for 14 and a half hours, was hoping it would go up a bit.  It was syncing at about 2500kbps the first week although it disconnected occasionally, it used to hold that speed for quite some time and was fine for me.  Now do I wait longer?  Try another router?  Undecided

Uptime: 0 days, 14:31:15
Modulation: G.992.1 Annex A
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 448 / 1,888
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/MB]: 65.59 / 585.26
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.5 / 17.0
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 31.5 / 61.0
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 14.0 / 14.5
Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / TSTC
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 356 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 7,060,084
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 3,168
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 339
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Have you checked if your phone line is clear (dial 17070 and use option 2 - quiet line test)? It looks like your target noise margin has gone straight back up which implies some sort of problem.
mike0381
Grafter

Hello Jelv, thanks for your help.
I have done the quiet line test, it seems pretty quiet.  What noise am I actually looking out for? Is it a particular kind of noise? Please note I only have a cordless phone.  Haven't owned a corded one for many, many years!