Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband Speed Issues

gpavlovic
Grafter

Broadband Speed Issues

Hey,
I've been with plusnet for 6 months now and i've never had a problem until recently. When i signed up my speed was meant to be 15MBs but having just done a recent check there seems to be some kind of problem as the results i'm getting are as follows:-
Download speedachieved during the test was - 29 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 100-250 Kbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :168 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 420 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 135 Kbps
The throughput of Best Efforts (BE) classes achieved during the test is - 9.1:38.42:55.14 (SBE:NBE:PBE)
These figures represent the ratio while sententiously passing Sub BE, Normal BE and Priority BE marked traffic.
The results of this test will vary depending on the way your ISP has decided to use these traffic classes.
>Upload speed achieved during the test was - 212 Kbps
Additional Information:
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 420 Kbps
Any help that can be provided would be much appreciated.
Cheers Graeme
16 REPLIES 16
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Re: Broadband Speed Issues

You need to go through the plusnet faults process as there is clearly a problem somewhere... but not necessarily within BT though hence doing all the checks given.
http://faults.plus.net
gpavlovic
Grafter

Hey,
I have already raised a fault ticket. I also noticed however that my IP profile is now set to 5.5MB but this was not the case sometime ago, any idea why this has changed?
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

It's possible that going through the faults process has automatically corrected a problem. That can happen, it interfaces to a BT Knowledge Based Diagnostic system.
Peter and myself are customers so have no access to any information concerning your account or connection other than that you post here. Do your router stats (from this page if you are using a Plusnet supplied router) show the same sync (bandwidth) speeds as you got from the BT Performance Tester? Posting the full page of stats here would help members make more informed suggestions.
Also check Current line speed shown in the Member Centre here. (Or is this what you meant by IP Profile?)
David
David
gpavlovic
Grafter

Hey,
Here is a list of my router stats from the plusnet router,

DSL Connection
Link Information

Uptime: 0 days, 0:20:37
DSL Type: G.992.5 annex A
Maximum Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 27,137 / 18,332
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 446 / 16,402
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/MB]: 1.70 / 10.09
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.5 / 20.0
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 7.5 / 13.5
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 26.5 / 10.0
Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / TSTC
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 6,283 / 0
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 7,316 / 1
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 8,771 / 0
any help would be greatly appreciated,
Graeme
MJN
Pro
Fixes: 5

And you're still having poor results from the speed test?
Mathew
gpavlovic
Grafter

Yeah my connection is slightly slower again than yesterday. My Ip profile was 15MBs but it's now 5.5MBs but I'm only getting 130kbps as my connection.
Have no idea what's going on, any suggestions would be much appreciated.
Cheers Graeme
MJN
Pro

Are you reading the IP Profile from the BT Speedtester's site or Plusnet's?
Mathew
gpavlovic
Grafter

Plusnets is at 5.5MBs just now but was higher. Dont know why it would change.
Graeme
MJN
Pro

Probably one for support then. I thought that your extremely low speeds may have been due to your IP Profile (perhaps at Plusnet rather than BT) being stuck at one of your previously-super-low rates but as they're both high (and the same) then it's it's clear I'm barking up the wrong tree with that one...
Mathew
spraxyt
Resting Legend

The Plusnet Current line speed is set from delta reports sent by BT Wholesale when the DLM changes your IP Profile. A value of 5.5Mbps implies you router has re-synced at a speed around 6500kbps.
Re-syncs and such large changes in sync speed imply that your connection must be experiencing prolonged bursts of noise. Do disconnections still happen if you plug the router (via a filter) into the test socket inside your master socket (assuming it is the NTE5 type)?
There's more on dropping connection problems here.
David
David
gpavlovic
Grafter

To be honest I'm not really good wit the technical side of things. I just like to connect it up and hey presto it works although sometimes I realise it isn't that simple.
There was a great bit of noise coming down my phone line last week but this seems to have been resolved by itself. could it be that my micro filter is on the blink?
I'm presuming plusnet staff are off at the moment so may have to wait until tuesday to have this properly looked at as i have rasied a ticket
Graeme
spraxyt
Resting Legend

Audible noise on the phone is certainly bad news as far as broadband is concerned and likely to lead to disconnections and low sync speeds. The usual check for audible noise is to dial 17070 and select option 2, the quiet line test. There might be a barely audible background hum but nothing beyond that. Rather than a faulty filter such noise could be caused by a poor connection that has been improved when carrying out the checks called up by the faults process.
The Plusnet faults team will, indeed, be thin on the ground due to the holiday but it's worth waiting to see if their investigations come up with anything.
David
David
MJN
Pro

You could rule the filter out by plugging the router straight into the master test socket as with no phones connected the filter serves no purpose.
Mathew
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

HI gpavlovic,
I see this has now been raised to our suppliers in the course of our fault investigation.
Jojo Smiley