cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband Speed Halved

MS06R

Broadband Speed Halved

Hi all, hoping someone can help us out with this issue;

We recently changed to Plusnet on the switch-over day we had an unstable connection and it constantly dropped. When It did stabilise we were only getting half the speed we had with our previous isp (7Mbps, down from 13 - roughly) - we managed to get through on the phone and an agent identified a fault on the line which was causing the drops.

An engineer came around who tested all our lines which were perfect, but the fault was in one of the exchanges and was fixed OK. The gist of what he explained was that our speed was reduced to 7 to prevent the constant instability - I'm not amazingly tech savvy, but hope this makes sense. He mentioned we should get in touch with Plusnet to put the speed back up, but so far we've only been able to sit on the phone at the back of a queue or speak to people in online chat that didn't make much sense. The connection is stable, but 7Mbps is a very poor download speed for our needs, especially when game downloads are around 20GB these days for example. Speed is 7 when connected with ethernet or wi-fi.

Also I can't actually post here using the Plusnet account we do have because the person left in charge to sign up got impatient when the 5th username they tried came back as already taken, entered a string of swear words and signed up with the first one they typed in.

So basically we would like to ask if we could have our speed increased to what it was previously, is this even the best place to do this, or do I need to sit next to my phone in a queue for 50 minutes?

Cheers Smiley

4 REPLIES 4
BD
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 86

Re: Broadband Speed Halved

Hi there, sorry to hear you're having speed issues. My first instinct would be to check the connection profile our side as usually after a line/external issue the settings are adjusted and although they'd return to normal over a few days we can put them back to normal manually. This would have been my course of action upon checking your account however I can see you've contacted one of our tech agents that have done this for you. Is the connection looking back to normal your side now?

Kind regards,
Ben

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi there, don't worry I've managed to track down the account and I've dropped you a response to ticket 158671006

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
MS06R

Hi Adam, thanks - if it's alright we'll continue to troubleshoot with the problem there? I'll respond to that ticket shortly.

Cheers Smiley

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Thanks, I'll reply to the ticket and we'll keep it there.

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.