cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband Setup Support Videos

petejackson
Grafter

Broadband Setup Support Videos

I posted earlier to the front page (home) of this community site about some videos we have recently produced. Very different in style from those currently available on http://support.plus.net/ these feature narration, and hopefully are a friendly introduction to setting up hardware, covering the most common issues of filters and usernames that our support team deals with on a daily basis.  Why not take a look and let us know here what you think?
Future versions will take on board your comments.. our aim is ultimately to have a set of such videos we can make available for download, and bundle on a CD, to help new and old customers when purchasing new routers or similar.
How to Set Up Your PlusNet Broadband Router - Part One

How to Set Up Your PlusNet Broadband Router - Part Two

14 REPLIES 14
Teds31
Grafter

Re: Broadband Setup Support Videos

This does seem to be very usefull way to get help and information over,could we have one soon regarding wireless setup.
petejackson
Grafter

Quote from: Teds31
This does seem to be very usefull way to get help and information over,could we have one soon regarding wireless setup.

That seems like an excellent topic for such a video.. it's now on our list.  thnx.
Not applicable

I only wish it had been available when I first started setting up broadband connections - brilliant! 
Would second the suggestion about wireless connections.
Although I managed to set up my own and a couple of others (all working fine), I am certainly no expert and it would be good to know a bit more about it.
ChemicalBrother
Grafter

Topic set as sticky to increase visibility
pcoventry
Grafter

Quote from: poppy
I only wish it had been available when I first started setting up broadband connections - brilliant! 
Would second the suggestion about wireless connections.
Although I managed to set up my own and a couple of others (all working fine), I am certainly no expert and it would be good to know a bit more about it.

Evening Poppy,
I agree, I always suggest to customers when they call to setup wireless links to use the windows software rather than the software that comes with the variety of USB dongles and internal PCI cards. Simply because all TSA's know how this works and it's easier to guide a customer through this as it's a 4-5 step process.
Teds31
Grafter

Got my PN wireless router set up in no time but been trying to set up my G/Daughters laptop with a Belkin router and Talktalk (Isthat allowed) a nightmare took several HOURS.
valart
Grafter

I have seen it on You Tube what a great idea so easy to follow I wish it was around six months ago, I had my eleven year old grandson who just amazes me with his computer skills set my router up for me these kids must have been here in another life I am 71 years young and I get by with help from your team and my little whizz kid.
Mal08
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Quote from: Peter
Quote from: Teds31

That seems like an excellent topic for such a video.. it's now on our list.  thnx.

Have you misplaced this list ?  Wink
Smiley Excellent series of videos on Utube, shame about the resolution - . I did see a similar site that had rather better quality than Utube that would make it easier to see the screenshots - but sorry can't recall the name of the site.  Sad
lucasdigital
Dabbler

Quote from: Mal08

Have you misplaced this list ?  Wink
Smiley Excellent series of videos on Utube, shame about the resolution - . I did see a similar site that had rather better quality than Utube that would make it easier to see the screenshots - but sorry can't recall the name of the site.  Sad

Hi Mal,
Fear not, the list is safe.
More videos are on the way. Next up, I'll be doing a short video about the exciting world of Master Telephone Sockets, which should appear in the next few weeks. I'll look at increasing the resolution, although I'll always highlight important stuff so that it's readable.
You'll definitely be seeing more about setting up wireless, overcoming broadband faults and lots more.  We welcome suggestions for other subjects to cover, if it can help our customers we’ll look at putting it on the list. 🙂
Mark
pierre_pierre
Grafter

I think the point was Mark its all very well having a list but it should be more visible, from memory it is hidden somewhere in the help and support section
i.e. http://www.plus.net/support/security/spam/spam_video.shtml
Having it as a sticky on the forum is also not much help to a new user who dosn't visit the forums
Mal08
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Quote from: lucasdigital

Hi Mal,
Fear not, the list is safe.
More videos are on the way. Next up, I'll be doing a short video about the exciting world of Master Telephone Sockets, which should appear in the next few weeks. I'll look at increasing the resolution, although I'll always highlight important stuff so that it's readable.
You'll definitely be seeing more about setting up wireless, overcoming broadband faults and lots more.  We welcome suggestions for other subjects to cover, if it can help our customers we’ll look at putting it on the list. 🙂
Mark

Great stuff -
On the subject of ADSL master sockets.
I know many routers hav those cheap ADSL filters in the package, but they are very untidy - and subject to damage - so the idea of doing a proper replacement of Master socket - and if you need ADSL in other rooms the need to run additional pairs to the other rooms etc,  would be a well worth promoting.
I know that there are several places that one can buy ADSL faceplates are on the web- but maybe PMN can help by having them as an option on the sign up hardware section ?.
The major computer stores certainly don't seem to stock them....

realafrica
Dabbler

Lucas said, "More videos are on the way. Next up, I'll be doing a short video about the exciting world of Master Telephone Sockets, which should appear in the next few weeks. I'll look at increasing the resolution, although I'll always highlight important stuff so that it's readable."
Will PN be supplying us, its customers, with iPlates to help us get better speeds?
pierre_pierre
Grafter

The program on how to set up your router need seriously updating now that you have changed to Speed touch, the current one is BT 210 and 2110
petejackson
Grafter

Quote from: pierre_pierre
The program on how to set up your router need seriously updating now that you have changed to Speed touch

I know it does.  We'll try to get this updated but we're having to priortise on a whole load of 'standard' support content at the moment.  I can't say yet when we'll be able to create a new video though.  So, until we can, I'll ask the mods if we can temporarily 'unsticky' this thread.