cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband Service collapsed

Willie

Broadband Service collapsed

Hi - My broadband service has collapsed to a point when it is not use able at all. It has been getting worse over recent weeks and now has almost stopped.

Strangely, my previous provider, TalkTalk appears to be still connected to my line, when I connect to the router by Ethernet that is the only service available.

When I was with TalkTalk they achieved broadband levels regularly of over 20mBs, but the last time I was able to log on to a speed checker it showed 3mBs, but now won't even bring up the web page.

Unfortunately the current level of service is simply not fit for purpose and I am having to use mobile WiFi to make his connection.

Any help, or suggestions, much appreciated.

7 REPLIES 7
Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

Re: Broadband Service collapsed

Are you by any chance using Powerline Ethernet units? If so it's not unknown for people to accidentally connect to a neighbour's router through the neighbour"s Powerline device.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Willie

Baldrick1: Yes I have a power line attached and will disconnect to see if that has any impact, but the TalkTalk 'name' is the same as my former service and devices still connect automatically using the old log-in.

The power line was needed to connect my TV to the router, the power line worked perfectly when I was with TalkTalk - does Plusnet have an issue with this? Also the transmission range of the Plusnet router appears to be pretty poor, I live in a small house and the effective range seems to be limited to the room it is in and I hoped power line adapters would extend that.

Baldrick1

I suspect that the Powerline units have both Ethernet and wireless capability. If so I suspect that the confusion is because the Powerline is still transmitting the Talk Talk SSID despite getting their data from your Plusnet router. You may not be aware that it's quite legitimate for a Powerline wireless unit to transmit a different SSID to the router. So let's start again.

Start by doing a speed test by plugging a computer directly into the Ethernet connector on the router and do a speed test. If that is below expectations then this needs to be sorted before you go any further.

Next factory reset both of your Powerline units and set them up again from scratch. If you need, it a Google search will turn up a manual.

As you have noted, and I'm assuming here that you're on standard broadband and have a Hub Zero, (2704n) modem, that the wireless performance of these is very poor. My advice is for you to go onto an auction site such as Ebay and buy a BT Smarthub 6 for £20-30. These have very good wifi performance. If you do you will find setting instructions on the Router board here https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Using-the-BT-Smarthub-6-on-a-Plusnet-Account/m-p/1587673#M85...

Moderator and Customer

Willie

Removed the power line units and the TalkTalk connection vanished from WiFi, but it is still the connection which appears when my laptop is connected to the Plusnet router by Ethernet. Using either Ethernet or WiFi there is virtually no broadband able to be used (I'm now using mobile broadband to send this).

I have tried to re-set the Plusnet modem, but pressing a pen into the reset hole, but I'm still not getting a useable service.

Tonight, Sunday, December 9, 2018, I have tried to connect (by Ethernet) to www.broadband.co.UK to get a connection speed reading and at first would not bring up the the 'test' section. Later it came up and showed a tested speed of 7.29Mb, but that is not converted into useable broadband. (With my old TalkTalk connection I regularly saw speeds over 20Mb).

Willie

Baldrick1, Many thanks for your advice which begins to make sense of a baffling issue. I have followed your advice to remove the powerlines and thought I would start by getting back some service without them. Removal took away the TalkTalk SSID from WiFi, but it still appears when connecting my laptop via Ethernet to the router, I guess this may still be 'locked' somewhere within the laptop which is running Windows 8.

At first router speed could not be checked because the checker website would not download, it then showed 3Mb and later 7.4Mb.

Following your advice have also picked up a BT home hub 6.

I'm still not getting a useable connection and before switching Plusnet assured me their service would be at least as good as TalkTalk. Their connection speed was usually 23-27Mb on basic broadband, but I had become frustrated by the number of complete breaks in service.

Baldrick1

It sounds as though you have a fault external to your property that has been carried over fron Talk Talk. First you need to make sure that it's not your internal wiring. Do the following tests: 

1. Take the front off your telephone master socket, you may need to remove two screws, newer ones just clip on. In behind you will find the Test socket. Plug a wired phone in here ( no filter or router), ring 17070 and do a quiet line test by selecting Option 2. If there is any noise on the line you should report a phone, not broadband fault to whoever you pay for your line rental, which might well be Plusnet. You will never get decent broadband if the phone line is noisy.

2. Plug a microfilter into the Test socket and connect the router to the microfilter. Then connect your laptop to the router again via an Ethernet cable. Do a speedtest using the BTw tester http://www.speedtest.btwholesale.com/ Note that you must run this on either Microsoft's Internet Explorer or Edge browser to get accurate results. If the result is below the guaranteed minimum speed given to you by Plusnet then select the Further Diagnostics option. The result is then saved on a database visible to Plusnet. Having got that far report a fault to Plusnet.

Hopefully having got that far a Plusnet staffer will come along and help.

Moderator and Customer

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

Hi @Willie, I'm sorry to hear you're experiencing problems with your connection. Initial checks are flagging up a potential problem on the line, but the result being flagged up is often caused by the home setup by things like double filtering (Using a micro-filter when connected to a pre-filtered socket) or internal wiring etc.

If you continue to experience problems after trying the troubleshooting steps @Baldrick1 has suggested, please could you report this over at https://faults.plus.net and let us know once you've done this. We'll then be able to get this raised with our suppliers for further investigation for you.

Thanks.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet