cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband Service Outage - Cheltenham

JDavies

Broadband Service Outage - Cheltenham

I've checked the scheduled maintenance for my area (Cheltenham), and according to the timetable, the work should take place overnight tonight.
However, my broadband has been down since at least 5.30pm last night and continues to be down.
Can you explain this, please?
4 REPLIES 4
maranello
Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: Broadband Service Outage - Cheltenham

I'm in Cheltenham, my connection was working fine last night and at least up til 7 this morning.
Where did you find out about the maintenance scheduled?
My other car isn't a Ferrari
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

The maintenance is BTWholesale maintenance and only happens from Midnight - 6am, this will generally only cause a few minutes downtime if any. If you were down before this or after this then it's very unlikely to be the maintenance causing the problem.
It's worth checking out troubleshooting and reporting as a fault if that doesn't help.
http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/bbfaults/
https://faults.plus.net
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
JDavies

Broadband is now back on, but running at an abysmal speed. It's slower than I remember dial-up to be. I tried a speed test yesterday, but it barely registered and had a ping in the 400s.
Now, on the troubleshooter I've reached the part about testing the dial tone. Unfortunately, I don't have a landline phone at home, because it's 2015 and I'm under forty.
Is there is any way of checking my broadband connection without checking the dial tone?
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

We can test the line however if there is any noise on the phone line this is likely to cause issues with the broadband. If the fault got to a stage where we sent an engineer and they identified the issue was caused by internal equipment, then a charge would be applied at that point, testing with a phone is a good way to making sure the line isn't causing an issue.
Looking at the line it was disconnecting a fair bit:

Testing the phone line shows an external fault, so at the moment no engineer is required and I've raised that to Openreach.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.