cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband SNR reset

phirani
Dabbler

Broadband SNR reset

Hi, I'm wondering if I could get someone here to manually reset my noise value. I've got my router (BT smart hub 6) connected to my test socket before I install an ADSL faceplate for my upcoming fibre upgrade, I only recently started using this router, it intermittently disconnects even in the test socket, not sure if this is just because the router is meant for VDSL or if the high noise value is making the net unstable (32.9dB upload, 25.8dB download), the high noise is carrying over from when the router was connected to my extension socket. I was also wondering if the noise margin resets on its own when my fibre goes live, or if it will carry over and slow down my settle period. Thanks.

5 REPLIES 5
bbpn
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: Broadband SNR reset

@phirani wrote:

32.9dB upload, 25.8dB download

Are you sure that's the noise margin? SNR noise margin is usually below 10dB. That looks more like attenuation. If that is the noise margin, there could be something wrong with the line. Higher noise margin would make the line more stable (not less), the higher the noise margin, the more SNR fluctuation the connection would be able to tolerate without disconnecting.

phirani
Dabbler

Yes that's the noise, there's definitely problems with the master and extension socket (which should fix with the ADSL faceplate) but there shouldn't be a problem in the test socket, I've previously tested in the test socket just a few weeks ago with the plusnet router and the noise margin after a day or 2 dropped from high values just like that down to 6dB, making my speed jump from 3Mb to 13Mb. During that test the net stayed completely stable and so the DLM dropped the noise, this same test with the BT smart hub 6 isn't getting perfectly stable which seems to be stopping the DLM from lowering my SNR, when I plug in to the test socket the max data rate immediately jumps from around 3Mb to 12Mb. I'm just hoping this is just a problem with the BT router and ADSL and that it's not a problem when my fibre goes live in 2 days.

bbpn
Rising Star

@phirani wrote:

this same test with the BT smart hub 6 isn't getting perfectly stable which seems to be stopping the DLM from lowering my SNR, when I plug in to the test socket the max data rate immediately jumps from around 3Mb to 12Mb.

Did you get 12Mb with BT SH6 in test socket? If not, you could go back to the set up which would give you 12Mb, when you have 12Mb, unplug the router for 30 minutes, then plug in SH6. If you unplug and replug the routers without waiting, the DLM may see that as line being unstable and then increase the noise margin to stabilize it.

phirani
Dabbler

This is only the first instance of having the BT router in the test socket, the max data rate on both the plusnet router and BT both jump to around 12Mb when in the test socket (with the current speed staying at 3Mb until the DLM makes adjustments). Given that it'll probably take upto 2 more days for the speed to jump back up on its own if at all, probably no point in testing the plusnet router as I'll be moved to fibre before the DLM likely makes any adjustments.

bbpn
Rising Star

When I moved between ADSL and VDSL(fibre), the DLM setting didn't stick around, but I was with other providers. I think if you make sure that faulty components (extension, socket etc) are disconnected when fibre goes live, you'd see a normal noise margin.