cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband Router not working after mini power outage

Bryanex99

Broadband Router not working after mini power outage

Hi,
My brother's Plusnet broadband (not fibre) router doesn't work at all ie no lights after a mini power outage last night. 
He is a senior citizen living alone and is not tech savvy. He doesn't have a physical landline or a computer and his mobile has basic minutes and texts only (no data). As u can tell by the above he doesn't use the internet at all, never has and wouldn't know how.
I am the account holder for him but Plusnet just seem to have disappeared off the face of the earth during this crisis. Phone lines no longer answering and just direct u to community pages. Normal submit a question/fault option has disappeared.  No live chat etc available. Pretty poor for a major company to leave the most vulnerable high and dry at this time.   Of course we 100% understand the limitations currently and didn't expect an instant answer but it would be nice to be able to submit the fault even if it takes them a few days or a week to get back to us.  They are after all a tech company so surely should have back up plan in place.
He got broadband put in last year just so he could watch films and sport  .....which is even more essential for him now he is included in the Govt 12 week isolation instruction.
I have spoken to him on his mobile and talked him thru the usual checks that I can think of.
Check wall socket works with a lamp - it does
Try power button on the back.
Try reset button on the back
Reboot etc
Still no lights on router at all. 
Wondering if anyone else who is a lot more tech savvy than me has any other ideas ...or do we just assume router is totally goosed?
Thanks in advance for any advice/help.

6 REPLIES 6
Bryanex99

Re: Broadband Router not working after mini power outage

Another question....I have just left Plusnet last week and still have their router. Mine was for fibre broadband and I know the normal broadband one is different. I could post that one to him if there is a chance that could possibly work?

Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

@Bryanex99 

Your fibre router will work. Before you send it you need to disconnect the DSL line then log into it. Go into the settings and change your username and password  to your relatives and save it. Do not plug the DSL cable back in, just post it on.

Alternatively the power supplies are interchangeable so if he leaves his router but swaps the power supplies that might well fix it.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Bryanex99

Thank you so much Baldrick1.
I'm not sure how to do what you have suggested tho as to complicate things even further, I left plusnet as I was due to move home but of course this has now been postponed indefinitely. 

I now have no broadband at all and am currently using my phone as a hotspot.

Would appreciate any idiot proof step by step help.... if and when you have time Smiley

Thanks again

Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

. You can I believe set this 

@Bryanex99 

Just changing the power supply might work, it’s worth a try as all that needs to be done is unplugging the one from the Hub Zero and using the one for your Hub One. If this works then nothing else needs to be done.

If you need to use the ADSL/Fibre Hub One then it’s bit more complicated. I do not have one of these devices but I believe the following to be correct:

1. Before you send it off switch it on and wait for it to boot. Do not connect the DSL cable.

2. Disconnect a computer or other Internet connectable device from the Internet, you must not have a connection to the Internet available

3. Preferably connect this device to the router via an Ethernet cable. If only a wireless device is available then connect to the Hub by selecting the Hub One SSID as shown on the Hub pull out card in your device wireless settings,

4. Open a web browser and enter 192.168.1.254 in the browser address bar. Note this must be the top address bar not any add on search box that your browser might have installed. This should give you access to the router home page.

5. Select Advanced Settings. You will need to enter the admin password on the pull out card.

6. Select Broadband.

7, Here you should see your existing username. Change this to you relative’s account username

but make sure to leave the @plusdsl.net part unchanged.

8. Change the Password to your relative’s account password.

7. Select Save.

8. Pack it up and send it off.

9. Note that your relative will need to go into their device wireless network settings to pick up the new wireless SSID as shown on the pull out card. You can, I believe, set this to be the same SSID and password as the Hub Zero If you select Wireless when in the Advanced settings but these must be identical if it is to work.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Bryanex99

Hi Baldrick1,
Thanks for going to all that trouble above - much appreciated!

I wasn't sure I would manage to do all that to be honest and know my brother def wouldn't cope with his part

Thankfully a most helpful Plusnet team member has organised a replacement router to be sent directly to him.

Thanks again Baldrick1

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Welcome to our community forums @Bryanex99 Sorry for the issues you've had getting in touch with us.

Thankfully a most helpful Plusnet team member has organised a replacement router to be sent directly to him.

No problem at all, I'm glad to see the new router has got him back online. 😁

Let us know if there's anything else you'd need help with.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet