Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband Query

jaym0nd
Dabbler

Broadband Query

Hi there
I have BT Openreach coming around on 22/2/13 to do the Fibre install.
I just a text from Plusnet stating my service will be active by midnight 23/2/12
Now I was informed with the transition from Sky landline and Broadband to Plusnet Phone and Fibre BB there wouldn't be any downtime...or a maximum of 2 hours...is this the case or will I experience more downtime? 
13 REPLIES 13
BryanP
Grafter

Re: Broadband Query

Quote from: jaym0nd
Now I was informed with the transition from Sky landline and Broadband to Plusnet Phone and Fibre BB there wouldn't be any downtime...or a maximum of 2 hours...is this the case or will I experience more downtime? 

I think the answer is probally Yes
jaym0nd
Dabbler

Oh I weren't planning on more than 2 hours.
But is this generally the case with a transition with LLU to FTTC?
pengbo
Grafter

Everyone gets the day after message. It's the way it works. It simply means that your activation will got live the day after at the very latest. Usually it happens the same day the engineer does his work.
You will get about what you expect, about 2 hours down time unless something out of the ordinary happens then all bets are off.
jaym0nd
Dabbler

Hopefully as the work is being done, I have been informed not to touch the equipment til the BTO get here lol...not sure why anyone would if the service isnt live.
pengbo
Grafter

Yeah I just left the router they sent in the box until the engineer phoned to say he was working on the line and would be along shortly.  Then I decided I should at least unbox it and get things ready near where the modem and router would need to be with a laptop ready to test things.
jaym0nd
Dabbler

I've been estimated to get 66-68mb, is there any scope for the full whack...76mb?
pengbo
Grafter

Dunno. To many factors to know for sure.
However I was on Be LLU. 3.5 Km from exchange and got 7MBps on ADSL2+  Which was about right for the distance and my reported attenuation.  I am now 280m +/- 50m from my fibre box (I found another one I thought I was 900m from it originally) and my estimated speed was 62Mbps down 20Mbps up.  I actually get 73/73Mbps down and 17Mbps up.  So I guess there is certainly hope, but I think it depends on where your FTTC cabinet is.
tijara33
Pro
Fixes: 6

I've no idea why you would worry about getting 76 Megs when you're forecast to get 68 Megs. It won't make the ha'porth of difference. However, to answer your question, your speed will be dependent on the distance from your green cabinet from whence comes your broadband service. Find your cabinet & measure the distance. As a rule of thumb, deduct 10 Megs per 100 kms.
pengbo
Grafter

Quote from: tijara33
As a rule of thumb, deduct 10 Megs per 100 kms.

Erm don't you mean meters?
tijara33
Pro
Fixes: 6

Erm don't you mean meters?

Woops. Too much Friday night red wine!  Roll_eyes
jaym0nd
Dabbler

Do you mean the big green cabinet or the street corner one?
The big green one is around 0.25km walk or drive away and a smaller one probably 30-50m away from our house.
pengbo
Grafter

Yes.  The green caninets in question generally have more vents in than the older ones and quite a substantial lock bulge.
Go here https://www.btwholesale.com/pages/static/Community/Broadband_Community/Coverage/ADSL_Availibility_Ch... and check which cabinet you are on then look for numbers on the big green cabinets.
One issue to be aware of is if you are in a virgin cable area they also use green cabinets and it does make it harder to work out which ones are BT or not.
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Hi there,
Your services will go active on the 22nd, it's an automated message you've received that states the day after, something we're currently looking at.