cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband Plus v Broadband Your Way

BertCoules
Grafter

Re: Broadband Plus v Broadband Your Way

Ah, I understand; thanks.  Though my off-peak usage tends to cover the whole of my present free time (midnight to 4pm) the most intense activity is usually during daytime, say 10am to 4pm.
Which means, I guess, that I should retain the package I'm on.
BC
Scoobie

Yes, I think I'm going to stay on the same package I'm on (Broadband Plus) as well, but use that very helpful Broadband Usage Tool in the Member Area. Better to keep an eye on what's going up (and down), and being aware of the actual usage.
Plus, it'll be something to remind people with a home network, that even though you're looking after your usage activity quite well - there could be someone else in the house being more active than others. Such as my wife who's been toying with iPhoto's photo ordering and Album ordering facilities..... tut tut...  Wink
Moderators note by James_H : Removed full quote of previous post. It is not needed and is against the link:rules
Ianwild
Grafter

Just to make the point quickly, Plus is actually a more profitable product than BBYW Option 2 and we aren't trying to push people off it (our bean counters wouldn't like it). Although they do cost the same, we budget more for capacity on BBYW than we do on Broadband Plus (You can ready more here).
The theory of our product design is always a bit of a complex topic to get your head round, but the long and short of it is that we're happy for people to stay on Plus because it is more profitable. In my team we'd love everyone to be on one product to make product management easier, but that isn't we're doing. I do think BBYW does offer better value for money than Plus, although that doesn't apply to every individual circumstance. In short, we really don't mind if you want to stay on Plus, but we're also very happy if people move to BBYW Option 2.
On the point about the way the usage allowance on Plus changed over time, I don't think there is any argument. The way we communicated that situation was really bad and it took us a long time over a turbulent period of time to get things right at our side as people's average usage increased as dramatically as it did.
Regards,
Ian
Scoobie

That's very nice for you to post that, Ian. It's very late in the night for me to be bothered (if at all) to compare precisely the products that Plus offer. The fact I'm with Plus is enough for me, tbh.
The biggest matter I've noticed in these couple of days, is the realisation of Upload and Download. I wouldn't be the type of person who'd be cynical enough to say that this situation has been glossed over by Plus (in particular, but many ISPs too), but people need to be aware of it.
At the end of the day, Plus is getting no more money nor less money, from those who choose to sit or move on their product. On this particular subject, anyway. But value for money is the final decision, and that's down to individual needs.
I like this. Nope, I'll change that. I love this.
puddy
Grafter

Quote from: Ian
Just to make the point quickly, Plus is actually a more profitable product than BBYW Option 2 and we aren't trying to push people off it
Ian

If thats the case when we change over to BT 21CN and want to keep our contracts but only wish a speed increase we can?
You did free a speed increase from 2mb to 8mg last time will you also do the same from 8mg to 24mg?
puddy
pierre_pierre
Grafter

one would hope so, if and when Lips_are_sealed
flodden
Grafter

Quote from: Ian

On the point about the way the usage allowance on Plus changed over time, I don't think there is any argument. The way we communicated that situation was really bad and it took us a long time over a turbulent period of time to get things right at our side as people's average usage increased as dramatically as it did.
Regards,
Ian

Thanks, its nice to hear an acknowledgement of this at last by Plusnet. Especially as I came up against a bit of a brick wall when I asked about this via the Customer Support Q&A on the web site.
godsell4
Rising Star

Quote from: puddy

If thats the case when we change over to BT 21CN and want to keep our contracts but only wish a speed increase we can?

I have been asking the same thing, maybe I have not been crystal clear about it, assuming I have been clear, all the replies indicate you will only be connect with ADSL2+ if your connection is also moved to WBC and not left on IPstream Connect.
SW.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
flodden
Grafter

Well I have switched to Broadband Your Way Option 2 for a trial period.
Not a very good start. My speeds have got much worse than they were with Broadband Plus. Both peak and off-peak they are well below 0.4MB, the BT designated acceptable limit for a 2MB+ broadband service. They have been as low as 0.2MB off peak. My optimum download speed should be 5MB+.
This is almost as bad as the 0.1MB speed restriction that is imposed when you reach 4GB usage on Broadband Plus!
I have had to raise a fault for the first time.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

dont think that has got anything to do with what package you are on, although traffic shaping can affect certain type of usage
James
Grafter

Hi Flodden,
I can absolutely promise you that this has nothing at all to do with your product change.
link:speed
You have been assigned an IP Profile of 135Kbps by BT, because they have seen a very low connection speed when you reconnected to the internet.
Although, looking into BTs logs, this looks like it happened ages ago, which means that they are slowing your speeds down in error.
Would you mind running a BT Speedtest for me?  If that confirms what I think it will do, I'll be more than happy to raise your fault to BT for you.
flodden
Grafter

I have been away from my home computer all day.
The BT Speed Test page is asking me to install a J2E Runtime Environment program saying I do not have Java applets enabled on my browser even though under my Security settings it says I have scripting of Java Applets enabled? The program says I need 131MB on my hard-drive and take minutes to install? Do I really need this to run a speed test?
Using the usual Plusnet speed checker, my speeds are still terrible, coming in at 0.2MB downloads:
http://www.mybroadbandspeed.co.uk/results/01288257.png
http://www.mybroadbandspeed.co.uk/results/01288240.png
http://www.mybroadbandspeed.co.uk/results/01283957.png
I raised a fault this morning through Q&A section.
It may not be the BBYW2 that is effecting my speed but switching packages must have done something as my speeds were fine until after I re-connected after switching?
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

You do need to run a test on the BT Performance Tester. The results will enable PlusNet to raise your problem with BT and get it fixed promptly. BTw accept the Performance Tester results as authoritative evidence.
David
flodden
Grafter

Here are the BT test results:
Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.
    Your DSL connection rate: 6528 kbps(DOWN-STREAM),  448 kbps(UP-STREAM)
    IP profile for your line is - 5500 kbps
    Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 227 kbps
brad
Grafter

Hi Flodden,
I've replied to your fault ticket and also made some amendments to your profile from our side of things which should resolve this for you. More details is on the ticket reply but if the problem is still the same (although it should be fine) then let us know and we will have a look further for you.
Cheers,
Brad