cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband Plus v Broadband Your Way

flodden
Grafter

Broadband Plus v Broadband Your Way

Has anyone else noticed there seems to be a bit of  push to get customers to transfer from Broadband Plus to Broadband Your Way Option 2 (both 14.99) which has increased peak usage of 15Gb v 4GB, but has double the peak time period (8am-midnight) compared to Broadband Plus (4pm-midnight).
My feeling is that I would be worse off if I switch especially with all day at the weekends being considered a peak period. Also with only 2 months worth of past usage shown on the site, its difficult to make an informed decision, especially when my peak usage reduces dramatically once I incur narrowband speed when I hit 4GB.
I joined Plusnet in 2005 with Broadband Plus and it was unlimited usage at the time. Then capped peak usage seems to have been brought in very quietly in early 2006 at 3GB for up to 2MB users. I got an email in Jan 2007 telling me I had gone over a 5GB peak cap, but at some point since then it seems to have been reduced back to 4GB. Plusnet themselves can't even tell me when this change happened which I feel sums up the lack of proper notification about these important cap changes. They claimed its because I was not signed up to the newsletters, but I've had a look through the archived ones and there is nothing about reduction in peak usage caps.
I only noticed in January 2008, after I had signed the 12 month binding loyalty contract in December 2007, that I was beginning to get emails telling me I had used up my monthly 4GB peak usage cap and would now be on narrowband for the rest of the month. I don't recall getting any of these emails before and my usage has not suddenly increased. Now I get them every month (I have asked Plusnet if I can see my usage patterns for the last 12 months to see if my usage has increased).
Has anyone else experienced this?
(I also noticed Plusnet have started notifying Broadband Your Way users when they reach 80% of their monthly peak usage, but do not do this for Broaband Plus users, which I think is unfair).
47 REPLIES 47
Spider
Grafter

Re: Broadband Plus v Broadband Your Way

Have a look at this site which contains a list of changes. When I checked the links on the page that are meant to corroborate the information I found that they no longer work. Hopefully a member of Plusnet staff will post to clarify the position of the historic information.
A quick search of Google resulted in:
http://www.broadband-123.co.uk/broadband/broadband_provider_uk_news/plusnet_broadband_plus_160305.ht...
pierre_pierre
Grafter

see http://www.plus.net/features/news/index.shtml for all previous news letters
James
Grafter

Hi Flodden,
Broadband Plus has always been designed for a peak usage of 4GB.  The emails have recently (ish) been turned on to advise customers that speeds are drastically reduced once the level of 4GB is reached.  This was happening previously, the emails just weren't being sent, so it's just to let you know why you might be experiencing poor speeds.
Looking at your usage over the last 3 months, I'd definitely say that changing product is a good idea.  You've not gone over the 15GB limit (at all times of the day, not just peak) and in addition to that, P2P and Usenet speeds are better during peak times of the day.
I really do think it would be beneficial to change and I'm not just saying that Smiley
flodden
Grafter

Thanks for the reply, but the reason I have not gone over 15GB is because when I hit 4GB peak usage fairly early in the month and because it then slows down to narrowband speed I dont do any major downloads in peak times for the rest of the month as its too painful.  Therefore its not a true indicator of my usage. If I could see last years usage this would be a better indicator as I was not receiving 4GB warning emails back then.
I enclose an email below from Jan 2007 which indicates I went over 5GB usage and even talks about a 7.5GB cap, so warning emails were sent out before this year, but that is the only one I received in 2007. There was never any notification in the newsletters or by email when this cap was reduced back to 4GB?
It just seems a very strange coincidence that the emails warning I had reached a monthly 4GB peak usage only started again in Jan 2008 just after the 12 month loyalty scheme (which gave a 6 month subscription reduction, but ties a user in for 12 months or they have to pay up the remainder of the contract if they leave) had been marketed in Nov-Dec 2007.
Date: Wed, 3 Jan 2007 20:00:41 +0000
> To:
> Subject: Peak-time usage- you have used 5GB this billing month
> From: support@plus.net
> CC:
>
>
>
> Your username:
>
> Dear ,
>
> As a Broadband Plus customer, you receive a monthly peak-time usage
> allowance of 7.5GB. This allowance ensures that everyone gets a fair share
> of our network resources during peak hours (4pm - Midnight).
>
> Your peak-time usage for this billing month* just exceeded 5GB.
>
> Increased restrictions will now apply to your connection speeds until the
> end of the current billing month. The restrictions won't affect most of
> your internet activities, such as browsing, emails, or gaming.
>
> Learn more about peak-time allowances -
> http://portal.plus.net/support/broadband/network/traffic_management.shtml
>
> See a breakdown of your usage so far this month -
> http://portal.plus.net/view_my_broadband_usage/index.php
>
> Remember, we don't count any of your usage outside of peak hours, and the
> restrictions on speed only ever apply within peak-time. You may be able to
> increase your peak-time usage allowance by upgrading your account -
> https://portal.plus.net/upgrade_process.html
>
> Thanks for your understanding. For more information about peak-time
> management, follow the above links.
>
>
> Kind Regards,
> PlusNet Customer Support
>
> This email has been sent as it contains important information about your
> service from PlusNet. Please do not reply to this email, as this is an
> unmonitored address.
>
> * A billing month ends on the day you are charged for your next month's
> service.
>
> Reference E0191

Quote from: Jameseh
Hi Flodden,
Broadband Plus has always been designed for a peak usage of 4GB.  The emails have recently (ish) been turned on to advise customers that speeds are drastically reduced once the level of 4GB is reached.  This was happening previously, the emails just weren't being sent, so it's just to let you know why you might be experiencing poor speeds.
Looking at your usage over the last 3 months, I'd definitely say that changing product is a good idea.  You've not gone over the 15GB limit (at all times of the day, not just peak) and in addition to that, P2P and Usenet speeds are better during peak times of the day.
I really do think it would be beneficial to change and I'm not just saying that Smiley
James
Grafter

Hi Flodden,
I can honestly say that the emails have absolutely nothing to do with your completing your 12 month contract.
You could always try BBYW Option 2 and I can always move you back if it doesn't suit you?
flodden
Grafter

Hi Flodden,
I can honestly say that the emails have absolutely nothing to do with your completing your 12 month contract.
You could always try BBYW Option 2 and I can always move you back if it doesn't suit you?

I'll believe you, thousands may not Wink
If I try Broadband Your Way Option 2, how long would I be given if I was not satisfied, to move back to Broadband Plus? There is no indication of this option to move back on the Upgrade Page.
James
Grafter

No, you'd need to get me to do it for you Smiley
I'd say anytime in the next 3 months or so.
flodden
Grafter

No, you'd need to get me to do it for you Smiley
I'd say anytime in the next 3 months or so.

Thanks for the trial offer, but I'm not entirely comfortable with it as its not a publically available option. I would need some assurance on that.
If I click on the upgrade button does it take me to a terms and conditions page I need to click agreement to or does it automatically upgrade without redress? I feel if I click on that upgrade button there is no going back.
I'm just a bit annoyed at the way Broadband Plus users have been treated and are being herded towards Broadband Your Way. I'm not convinced the doubling of the peak period is in my interest and with no more than 2 months usage pattern available I can't make an informed decision.
Not applicable

Quote from: flodden
Thanks for the trial offer, but I'm not entirely comfortable with it as its not a publically available option. I would need some assurance on that.

He just did give you his assurance!
Its not something thats so unusual either - I've seen a few examples of people opting to change back after 'giving it a go'
Its not in PN's interests to have you on a product thats not right for you.
If you want something more 'in stone' - you could raise a ticket on your account via the portal, and then let James know the ticket number - he can add a reply to that ticket stating the same if it makes you feel a little more comfortable giving it a go.
zubel
Community Veteran

As an impartial advisor, I can assure you that you will be able to return to your previous account should you be unhappy with the move to BBYW
Plus, James has stated this in the public forum so if there is ever any question you can refer Plusnet back to this thread.
The old Plus product is no longer being maintained, and development resource is aimed squarely at the current BBYW product set.  You are under no obligation to change, but as market forces drive product development, you will find you existing product will lag more and more behind the current expected norm.
Personally, I would recommend trying BBYW, and if you don't like it simply raise a ticket FAO James Bailey to be moved back any time within the next 3 months - simple as Smiley
B.
flodden
Grafter

Quote from: Spider
Have a look at this site which contains a list of changes. When I checked the links on the page that are meant to corroborate the information I found that they no longer work. Hopefully a member of Plusnet staff will post to clarify the position of the historic information.
A quick search of Google resulted in:
http://www.broadband-123.co.uk/broadband/broadband_provider_uk_news/plusnet_broadband_plus_160305.ht...

Thanks for the links. Very interesting reading. If I had been more aware of this I may not have signed up to the binding 12 month loyalty scheme.
I'd be really interested to hear other user's opinions on this topic?
godsell4
Rising Star

Quote from: flodden

Fair enough. But you do have it in writing from a member of PN staff written here.
If you are not happy with that as insurance, before starting the upgrade process, goto 'My Questions' and start a ticket asking for confirmation you want this trial period, this is now on your account and preserved for all time to come. Now you have it in writing attached to your account. Is that insurance enough for you?
SW.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
flodden
Grafter

Thanks for the advice.
When I previously approached Plusnet through the customer questions support section on their web site over exactly the same concerns about switching, they did not offer me the option of a trial and obviously there are no T&Cs before you click on the upgrade button about being able to back out if unhappy. I'm also new to this forum and did not know how much standing an informal message on a thread will have. Hopefully you will understand why I asked for assurance.
Not applicable

Absolutely understand.
The key thing to look out for is the legend 'PlusNet Staff' underneath the users forum name on the left hand side.
Anybody posting officially on behalf of PlusNet has this underneath their name and they are the only ones that have it.
PlusNet Staff are also the only ones who have the PlusNet logo underneath the legend 'PlusNet Staff' and the 'Posts:' part.
PN have specific rules about which staff post in which parts of the forums, and one what types of subject - you can be sure that if one of them makes a promise about your service, it'll only be from somebody at PN who is in a position to make sure it can happen.
Jameseh is a pretty trustworthy kind of a chap when it comes to stuff like this. Grin
(Forum Moderators, Bright Sparks etc are not staff, we're just regular punters like yourself. Wink If you want to, you can read a bit more on the various titles that might appear under posters names here > http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,1122.0.html )