Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband Plus : Peak Time Speed Throttling

Grezzer36
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Broadband Plus : Peak Time Speed Throttling

As an avid forum "watcher" this is a first time post for me. Still on Broadband Plus, with peak time 4pm - midnight. Think peak usage allowance is 8GB. Have had extremely low speeds all last  week at peak times. Off peak been fine.
Peak usage has just gone over 4GB for 1st time ( month ends 26th). Am I right in thinking speeds start to be throttled when peak usage gets over half of allowance. I'm assuming things will buck up later this week when new bill period starts.
Because of long line usual speed 1.2mb, but getting only approx 100kbps peak. Speed tests barely completing. Router stats are no different than usual for me.
Thanks for any views.
8 REPLIES 8
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Re: Broadband Plus : Peak Time Speed Throttling

Welcome to the forums.
Unfortunately the usage limit on Broadband Plus is 4GB peak (4pm-midnight) and 50GB off-peak (link). So with your current usage over 4GB, as you have discovered, your service is heavily restricted until next billing date.
Has your pattern of usage changed to take you over the limit? I wondered if either of the new Plusnet Value or Plusnet Unlimited products was likely to be of interest? Peak time on Value is 8am to midnight (not applicable on Unlimited), and as an existing user a 12 month contract would apply with the new products if you didn't take a new router (18 months if you did). Kitz's checker enables you to compare traffic shaping on your current BB Plus service with that on the new products.
David
James
Grafter

Hi Grezzer,
Just to offer an "official" response - Broadband Plus is restricted after 4GB peak usage, or 50GB off peak.
This gets reset at your next billing date.
Grezzer36
Rising Star

Thanks for responses. Even though I got my usage limits wrong you've confirmed my suspicions. At least not a line problem. Peak usage usually 2 - 2.5gb a month & slightly higher offpeak. Usually try to do any occasional iplayer downloads during daytime (pre 4pm).
Peak usage been heavier this month as wife got family history bug, so she's been heavily into Ancestry.com mainly during evenings. This will probably ease off for a while during next month.
Re new products. Exchange Chester Central shows as Market 3 so eligible for reduced price. Currently on 12 month contract with £3 pmonth discount. As mentioned in original post have long line inc aluminum! So profile usually 1.2 mb. Usage mainly surfing, some downloads (podcasts & iplayer), some streaming  & Windows Live Messenger webcam weekly chat. Don't really want to have to downgrade re usable speeds at peak times (when within allowance) than what I'm already on. Have looked at traffic shaping stats & not sure how well suited Value is for streaming & some Messenger webcam.
I know there are many threads re new products elsewhere but any comments welcome.
James
Grafter

Hi Grezzer36
If you would like to move to the new Value product on a 12 month contract, you are perfectly welcome to do so.
You will lose the £3 discount, but then you'll be paying £5.99 anyway Wink
Grezzer36
Rising Star

Thanks Jameseh. Am I right in thinking cos of normal speed limitations of my line (profile normally 1- 1.2mb) I probably wouldn't notice much of a difference in traffic shaping in say streaming or downloads (podcast / iplayer occassionally) on Value product over my existing BBPlus. I don't do any gaming so that doesn't come into it.
I understand that you can also upgrade from Value to Unlimited at any time if desired.
If I decide to go over to Value can you arrange it from here or do I have to phone or raise a question. Think my normal billing date is 26th.
I know I've gone off original thread somewhat but all advice appreciated.
James
Grafter

Hi Grezzer,
If you log in at http://portal.plus.net and select the Product Change link, you can request the change to Value from there.
Streaming traffic should be the same on Value as it is on Plus, so you should be fine.  However, if you find that it doesn't suit you in the first month, I'll happily move you back.
Grezzer36
Rising Star

Thanks Jameseh. Think'll I might as well go for Value especially as you say I you'll put me back on Plus if needed in 1st month. I'll follow the link mentioned.
Cheers Smiley
Grezzer36
Rising Star

"Downgrade" to from BBand Plus to Value activated yesterday. Cust service originally stated 18 month contract but confirmed would be 12 month when I queried this.
Will see how things go
Many thanks for help. Smiley