Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband Pay As You Go Pro - Reviews?

sophos9
Grafter

Broadband Pay As You Go Pro - Reviews?

Hi,
I'm on the old Premier 1 product and thinking about changing to the above package. I download a fair bit of p2p overnight, peak time is minimal traffic (never gone over 5gb)
What is the latency difference between the pro product and and say BBYW Option 2?
What is the hardware offered on Pro and option 2?
Thanks in advance
15 REPLIES 15
James
Grafter

Re: Broadband Pay As You Go Pro - Reviews?

Hello!
Long time no see Smiley (I think!)
There shouldn't be a massive amount of difference in latency on http traffic and other similar.  Gaming should generally be similar, barring games that we're not picking up correctly.  The main difference is that all traffic on Pro, all of your traffic is in Gold or titanium.  this will mean that if you do ever need to do a P2P or Usenet download, it'll come down at line rate.
If you're looking to just improve your ping, we can try to remove interleaving for you if you would like us to.
sophos9
Grafter

Hi mate, they let you free again then! I've been busy on those stupid Oracle platforms  Huh
Cool, the majority of my traffic is HTTP then p2p overnight. No current issues with speed, will turning interleaving off affect the line sync rate at all - do you remember the hassle we had getting a manual SNR target - line has been pretty good since!
What traffic is overnight p2p on Option 2?
Can you confirm what the hardware is for both products (presuming BT branded stuff?)
Thanks James!
James
Grafter

Ah true.  In which case it's probably best left alone.
The router on Pro is a BT Voyager 2110, which is a 4 port wireless one.
http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/quality_broadband/speed.shtml?WT.svl=bbyw_option2speeds#Option...
That link shows you the expected speeds you should see on each of the products.
sophos9
Grafter

Nice one, thanks mate!
Firejack
Grafter

Remember peaktime on BBYW Pro is 8am to midnight not 4pm to midnight like Premier. So you'll have to stretch the 10GB usage for those extra 8 hours each day.
sophos9
Grafter

Quote from: Firejack
Remember peaktime on BBYW Pro is 8am to midnight not 4pm to midnight like Premier. So you'll have to stretch the 10GB usage for those extra 8 hours each day.

Now theres a point I overlooked, thanks Firejack!
sophos9
Grafter

Well I just bought a PS3 so will be gaming a fair bit... I've changed to the Pro product now.
Couple of questions...

• I've added a comment on the automated ticket requesting that the account is upgraded asap - believe this is ok?

• Also added the address to send the router to, what is the current delivery time?

• Do I qualify for the free game?

Cheers all
James
Grafter

Hiya Sophos,
I've added a comment on the automated ticket requesting that the account is upgraded asap - believe this is ok?
- This is absolutely fine.
Also added the address to send the router to, what is the current delivery time?
- It'll generally take 3 working days for hardware delivery.
Do I qualify for the free game?
- Unfortunately not.  It's currently only available for new customers.
sophos9
Grafter

Hi James, on the ball as usual, thanks for the quick reply! Look forward to getting the new kit and product...
Got to say that PN has done an excellent job in its recovery from some rough times, I'm glad I'm still here  Wink
Keep it up....
Firejack
Grafter

Yes they have done well. I do miss the daily Soap Opera that was people complaining on the forums though. Got many giggles back then  Tongue
A follow up question... As I've switched to Pro also. (Still testing it to make sure I can stay in my usage limits. Amazing how much bandwidth you save increasing your Browser cache!) What are the conditions existing customers have to agree to for the free Router offer? Basically is the router free or is it only free after 12 months from when you switch like what happens for new customers?
Thanks
James
Grafter

Hi Firejack,
The router is free (barring a £5.99 postange and packing charge) should you remain with us for a further 12 months.  If you leave within this period, there would be a £50 charge.
sophos9
Grafter

The router arrived next day - nice one plusnet!
Plugged it in today and to my surprise, it tells me my line rating is now 4768 downstream!! Never got over 3500 with the voyager 205
Will now wait and see the BRAS profiles update, nice one all round and if it behaves itself, will request interleaving to be turned off!
Cheers PN!
Firejack
Grafter

Hmmm interesting. I'm only on 3Mbps at the moment. Might be tempted to accept this offer if it gives a speed boost Cheesy
sophos9
Grafter

Not just interesting but amazing really... there is a journal on here somewhere about my BB experience! When I connected I would struggle to get 120k, BT said BB was not available.
Being an IT geek it was not good enough so I installed an XTE 2005 filtered faceplate and got a SNR target tweek and I've been stable on 3500k downstream
Straight away, the exchange was able to negotiate a better rate with this modem, superb I'm over the moon!!
Statistics Downstream Upstream
Line Rate 4768 Kbps 448 Kbps
Noise Margin 7.6 dB 19.0 dB
Line Attenuation 57.0 dB 30.5 dB
Output Power 19.7 dBm 12.1 dBm