Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband Outage and Unusual IP address

TLE
Grafter

Broadband Outage and Unusual IP address

Hi guys,
I noticed at lunchtime that my broadband was not connected at home. The modem was connected and it had obtained an IP address which was unusual. I know this becuase I have a static IP address and it is nothing like my static IP address, also the gateway and DNS are substantially different. This has now happened twice in the last month. The issue has now resolved and I am connected again with the usual details but I am interested to find out why this is happening.
The Network configuration was as follows:
PPPoE - Connected
IP Address: 72.16.116.125
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.255
Gateway: 81.146.182.5
DNS1: 62.6.38.125
DNS2: 62.6.38.125
My exchange is Thirsk (NETI), I know that they are currently installing FTTC here, so I wonder if this coul be related. Do you guys at plusnet know if there has been any problems reported at this exchange?
Thanks
Michael.
10 REPLIES 10
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Broadband Outage and Unusual IP address

That is a USA address and why are you using PPPoE
The DNS is the BT wholesale gateway http://62.6.38.125/index.html
TLE
Grafter

It's using PPPoE becuase the details you are seeing are from the router which is bridged with a modem. Only the modem uses PPPoA.
Interesting that it should get a geograhic IP address for the USA, since it's being redirected to that page is certainly sounds like they are messin around in the exchange.
I have also noticied today that http://www.superfast-openreach.co.uk/where-and-when/ now says Thirsk is accepting orders for FTTC, however when you check the wholeslae checker is says June.
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Quote from: TLE
IP Address: 72.16.116.125

Are you sure that IP address wasn't 172.16.116.125? that would tie in with being allocated a BT Wholesale network private address because they were unable to route you to Plusnet.
David
TLE
Grafter

You are indeed right, it was 172.
I think this must have been to do with our exchange going live to take FTTC orders. It appears as though only 2 cabinets in the whole town have been enabled. Is this normal? I would have expected them to have enabled most of them at the same time as we are not tha bigger town. My phone number is still saying by June '12. Do they normally only enable a few to test the system first, or do they get enabled as they are completed?
dick:quote
TLE
Grafter

It's happened again this evening, my router is again getting a BT IP address.
Does anyone from Plusnet have any ideas why this is happening, is there an issue at our exchange or is this normal when rolling out FTTC?
Gus
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Planned BT work I had the same since 11.30pm

http://www.plus.net/supportpages.html?a=2&support_action=maintenance&ispservice_id=adsldial
FTTP 500 regrade from Tues 28th November
prichardson
Grafter

Hi Gus,
Any outage you saw last night will have been from around 00:15 onwards only. There were no network drops prior to this.
You can get an idea of the scale of things and the times from the following tweet this morning.
http://t.co/plfDRADf
Gus
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

I had a 172 IP address from 11.30pm onwards.  Finally got my static IP back, just before my post from last night.
FTTP 500 regrade from Tues 28th November
TLE
Grafter

Yeah mine came back shortly after posting last night. I have now signed up tfor the email annoucements  Smiley
There was me hoping they were finally enabling the cabinet at the end of our road  Cry
7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

Quote from: P
Any outage you saw last night will have been from around 00:15 onwards only. There were no network drops prior to this.

Quote from: Gus
I had a 172 IP address from 11.30pm onwards.

Mine was dead prior to the PN 00:15 time that PN quoted too.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!