cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband Opt 2 - 8GB

johnmglen
Grafter

Broadband Opt 2 - 8GB

Just moved from PAYG 6GB to this product and my speed has dropped by 65%.
Not too pleased, why should this have happened?  I sincerely hope that this is a quick config issue as I am not going through the entire raft of tests like when PN had the BB+ nightmare.
28 REPLIES 28
Mand
Grafter

Re: Broadband Opt 2 - 8GB

Hi there,
What speeds are you talking about here? If it's P2P you will certainly see a slowdown on this at peak times, as on PAYG all your traffic is prioritised.
You can compare the two products here.
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Speed in what respect: Sync speed, HTTP downloads, P2P etc etc.
What time of day are you seeing this?
What speeds were you getting and what do you see now?
Do you have any evidence like speed tests?
johnmglen
Grafter

Quote from: Mand
Hi there,
What speeds are you talking about here? If it's P2P you will certainly see a slowdown on this at peak times, as on PAYG all your traffic is prioritised.
You can compare the two products here.

Just ordinary surfing speeds, like your download tester. 
Mand
Grafter

What does this page state as your speed?
What sort of speeds were you seeing before?
The speedtest on our portal is not too reliable, we are looking at getting it replaced with this one. What speed does this one give?
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

That is broke and not a reliable tester.
Try some of the others like the Thinkbroadband speed tester one, the BT speed test or this one and then see if it is any different.
johnmglen
Grafter

It tells me my configured speed is 6500K.  My previous speeds using your tester were usually above 6000Kbps now they are 2-3000Kbps.
Can this be a simple config issue during the regrade?  I basically knew something was amiss because general surfing was becoming unresponsive.
johnmglen
Grafter

Quote from: Peter
That is broke and not a reliable tester.
Try some of the others like the Thinkbroadband speed tester one, the BT speed test or this one and then see if it is any different.

Like I said, I don't want to be doing that again, it takes ages.  My surfing is now sluggish, it was not before - there are no faults listed and the only difference is the regrade.  I was hoping for a quick click here and there and voila (like last time), but it looks like it ain't happening.
Mand
Grafter

Yep, I'd recommend raising a ticket to make sure nothing has gone amiss during the regrade process. There should be little, if any, difference between the two products when it comes to browsing.
(I'd check for you, but I don't have the required access to our work network at the moment, sorry :()
johnmglen
Grafter

Thanks Mand - I will do that.
By the way, 2585K down
384K down.
Not good.
Mand
Grafter

Hi there,
I've checked your IP profile, and our profile still ties in with BT's, so this is not the cause of your issue.
I've asked our networks team to check your profile and make sure everything is as it should be.
johnmglen
Grafter

Thanks, I appreciate your help.  They did tell me that I should wait 10 days or so before raising this again as things may need to synch etc. 
Mand
Grafter

Yeah, apologies for that, I've raised that with the agent concerned.
We can safely say it's not related to your IP profile, so the Max issue is a red herring in this case.
johnmglen
Grafter

Sorry Mand, you have lost me there.  Am I being a bit thick Embarrassed
Mand
Grafter

Nope, not at all, sorry I posted in a hurry.  Embarrassed
Basically the response you were given was not correct, though I can see where the confusion came from. This is nothing to do with MaxDSL, or the 10 day training period.
I raised a ticket to our network team earlier today to investigate further for you, and depending on their response will need to investigate for you. We need to hang fire for the time being and see what their investigations show up.