cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband Issues..Help Please

danhoax

Broadband Issues..Help Please

Good Evening
Firsy time poster and its a shame it has to be about something negative but hopefully with some help my problem can be resolved and my internet connection resolved. Please excuse me if my explanation is poor but when it comes to computers and internet I'm not the best.
Basically the short way to describe my problem is that my connection is extremely slow and has been now for approximately 2 weeks. I mainly use my connection for browsing the internet on my PC with some downloading, and Xbox Live (Gaming, BBC Iplayer, Netflix etc). Before my problm began all my gaming was smooth, browsing was fine and I could stream tv programmes and films no problem. However now my internet browsing speed has become extremely limited (most pages take 3 or more minutes to loads whereas before it was pretty much instant) and tv/films are unwatchable.
Through reading the forums and tips etc I have tried the following all of which have failed and given no improvement. I have changed all cables leading from my phoneline to the router (Thomson TG585 v8) including the microfilter - Ive tried 3 microfilters in all 2 of which were brand new. Plugged my router directly into the test plug on my BT box and also bought a new router incase this was the problem. None of the above have worked. Ive obviously tried all the standard off/on, restore factory settings procedures too.
I ran a BT speed test too and these are the results i got. Unfortunately they mean nothing too me however I do understand that they are not good!
Download Speed Mbps: 0.10
Upload Speed Mbps: 0.00
Ping Latency (ms): 59.38
I've also checked my current line speed via the pluset site which states it should currently be 5.9Mb.
Can someone help please? Or is there anymore information that I need to provide for a better diagnosis of my problem? Its getting very frustrating have such a poor internet connection.
Regards
Dan
14 REPLIES 14
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Broadband Issues..Help Please

Those results aren't from a BT speedtest which doesn't give ping latency
However something is seriously adrift.
Can you provide the information requested here http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,96155.0.html
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

The Beta one does, and it depends on Flash! but as you say Jim, not much help without more info.
Bradley
Grafter

I don't know about this but I had a similar problem. My speed went down to 0.1, after a little bit of work we came to the conclusion that i'd gone over my Bandwidth limit which crashes your speeds whilst making you pay extra. Maybe this could be the problem?
danhoax

DSL Connection:
Link Information:

Uptime: 0 days, 0:02:03
DSL Type: G.992.5 annex A
Maximum Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 1,096 / 7,200
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 443 / 280
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [kB/kB]: 91.00 / 394.00
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.5 / 8.5
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 24.5 / 41.0
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 26.5 / 31.0
Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / IFTN
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 7 / 0
The results from the speedtest ar above as it was the Beta test which I ran. Also 5.9Mb is my line speed....
Oldjim
Resting Legend

It would appear that your line has been banded - it will need a rep to respond tomorrow
danhoax

Ok thanks for that OldJim. Could you give a brief summary of what banding is for us internet illiterates please?
Oldjim
Resting Legend

I will try
Under ADSL2 and ADSL2+ if the automatic systems in the exchange think that the line is unstable and that increasing the noise margin hasn't or wouldn't help it then sets the maximum speed the line will synchronise at.
I must admit I have never seen one that low before
I don't understand why they needed to bring this in as it just makes for problems in many cases  Crazy
danhoax

and how would this issue be resolved?
Oldjim
Resting Legend

A member of the Digital Care Team will be able to help in the morning.
I doubt that raising a fault would help in this case
danhoax

Ok thanks
danhoax

Can any of the Digital Care Team help please?
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

HI danhoax,
it's not banded, but it looks like the IP profile is stuck. I'll look into that now and see what I can do.
Jojo Smiley
Oldjim
Resting Legend

For my benefit - how does a stuck IP profile give a sync speed of only 280kbps with a 31dB noise margin
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

HI Jim,
I can only assume that the stats were taken during a low sync event. At the moment the sync is 6808 with SNR of 6dB.
@danhoax,
I've contacted our suppliers and they have carried out some maintenance. They say this can take 2-4 hours to take effect, so hopefully your speed should return soon.
Jojo Smiley