cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband Intermittent sometimes every 10secs

niallcampbell
Grafter

Re: Broadband Intermittent sometimes every 10secs

SNR margin sitting at 6.1 - one stage last had gone down to 4.7 as I post sitting now at 6.2

When BT engineers were here everything was plugged in and no issues - I was ecstatic as first time i had ever achieved a 4mbps download speed!

Yes, I have unplugged (in the past) and makes no difference - looking at the graph you sent that seems representative.

At present all stable, all I am asking for.

As before really appreciate your customer service!

niallcampbell
Grafter

Dropped just now approx 13.20 back on 13.22

niallcampbell
Grafter

Few more drops yesterday and this morning.  

I had been told been told by two PN  support on the phone that a drop in connection showed healthy line - asked the 2 BT engineers that were out and they said " eh, no, not sign of healthy line" 

Just asking for healthy line so my children at not at me all the time.

RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

Hi Niall and thanks for getting back in touch.

I've done some further testing on your line and responded to you directly via the member centre on this ticket.

If you could login via www.plus.net and check the update that would be great.

Thanks,

Dave

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

In addition to Dave's post, have you tried the Plusnet router we've sent you a few years ago?

It'd help determine if the issue lies with the TP link router.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
niallcampbell
Grafter

Hi Anoush

I had issues with PN router before told it was broken needed new one, would have to buy and would take 2 weeks to arrive - bought  1st TP link router and after many complaints from my children about  **** wi-fi bought the Archer VR2800 (expensive) just before Christmas. 

Obviously I am desperate for a fix - could DNS server have anything to do with issue? The forums have as usual conflicting opinions.

I am also contacting TP link

As before, appreciate your help. Did respond to this earlier but .. doesn't appear to have appeared?

niallcampbell
Grafter

Hi Anoush

Just saw this

PlusNet DNS Servers

http://www.plus.net

Report an issue

Primary DNS: 212.159.13.49

Secondary DNS: 212.159.13.50

Tertiary DNS: 212.159.6.9

Additional DNS: 212.159.6.10

My router is using the Tertiary DNS and additional - should I manually change it - it's what appeared when I set up automatically.

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Post released from Spam Filter.

niallcampbell
Grafter

Hi Anoush

Just found out about system log and include screen shot

Screen Shot 2018-01-23 at 11.06.08.png

It shows issue with wrong server or invalid IP - without showing you them all these messages correspond with my intermittent drop outs

Any thoughts?

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Hi Niall.

had issues with PN router before told it was broken needed new one, would have to buy and would take 2 weeks to arrive

If you're wanting to try a different router we'll be happy to supply you with a replacement Plusnet one, waiving the cost (except for the postage fee of £6.99) on a contract and new deal too. Let me know if you know if you'd like to go ahead.

I'm not sure why you'd be advised it'd take up to 2 weeks to arrive. The official timeframe is 3-5 working days, but they're sent Royal Mail 1st class and usually arrive within a couple of days.

could DNS server have anything to do with issue?

I wouldn't have thought the DNS server would affect this, but it might be worth trying a different server instead.

It shows issue with wrong server or invalid IP - without showing you them all these messages correspond with my intermittent drop outs

Honestly (as always) I'm not sure what these messages mean, but it doesn't look to be related to your broadband connection. Possibly more related to your home network.

The physical connection between your router and the exchange still appears to be holding strong:

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
niallcampbell
Grafter

Hi Anoush

I am in touch with TP Link and awaiting their response. Just trying to get my head around everything.

AS before appreciate you looking into this.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

No problems Niall. I appreciate it's not easy stuff to understand. Took me a while when I started.

Keep us posted on their response.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
niallcampbell
Grafter

Hi Anoush

This is TP Link's response: Our senior engineer checked the screenshot and the system log that you sent,we find your line quality is bad, if you do have another telephone line, please use another phone line.

They also sent this again:

The DSL parameters on ADSL modem routers can reflect line status from your ISP. The most useful parameters are Line Attenuation, SNR Margin and Rate. All of the figures are measured in decibels (dB).

Note: Both of SNR Margin and Attenuation on TD-W8960N or TD-W8950ND take 0.1dB as an unit, so if the figure is 130, that means 13dB.

Here are some problems listed below which may be related to DSL parameters.

Q: My Internet drops frequently or Internet speed is too low, how can I infer if it’s in a bad line quality?

A: Please check your downstream SNR Margin and Line Attenuation circled in the picture. If SNR Margin is lower than 10dB or Line Attenuation higher than 45dB, your line quality is poor and may suffer from Internet dropping. In this condition, please contact your ISP to check your line quality.

Range of Downstream SNR Margin (For reference only)

10dB and below Bad and difficult to get Synchronization

11dB-30dB      Normal

30dB and above:  Outstanding

Range of Downstream Line Attenuation (For reference only)

20dB and below:  Outstanding

20dB-45dB:       Normal

45dB and above:  Poor and may suffer from Internet dropping

I am still getting some drop out : 

106 2018-01-27 09:24:54 DHCPD Notice Recv DISCOVER from A6:2B:B0:35:F4:69
107 2018-01-27 09:24:42 DHCPD Notice

Send NAK

108 2018-01-27 09:24:42 DHCPD Notice Wrong Server id or request an invalid ip
109 2018-01-27 09:24:42 DHCPD Notice Recv REQUEST from F6:F2:6D:2E:37:69

Still trying to get head around things

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Hi Niall.

I'll be happy to increase the SNR margin to the level suggested by TP Link, but it will slow your sync rate down considerably and will unlikely fix the problem as the line seems to be stable...

Want me to send out a replacement Plusnet router to try?

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
niallcampbell
Grafter

Hi Anoush

Keep it where it is at present please

Many thanks

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@Gandalf  If the TPlink router stats are believable the OP is on extremely high SNRM values already (27db down 25dB up!)

I think a line reset would help a lot. Also is the line provisioned on ADSL_Max (G.DMT)? Is ADSL2+ not available, if it is the download speed should be over 20Mbps as it is a fairly short line (13dB Attenuation down).