cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband Fault Checker

fogies

Broadband Fault Checker

Huh I have been asked to run the Broadband Fault Checker due to a speed issue. The programme requires my firewall to be shut down during part of the process and i really don't wish to do that. If this is really necessary then i will have to comply in order to allow the checker to complete its tests.
I would like some advice on the subject before going ahead, thanks to all who respond.
Fogies.
6 REPLIES 6
MikeWhitehead
Grafter

Re: Broadband Fault Checker

If you've been asked by a member of staff to do it and it's one they told you to use, then turning your firewall off for a few minutes really won't cause you problems.
James
Grafter

Hi there,
The recommendation is to lower your firewall briefly as this is often the cause of many issues.
Just try it briefly and if it doesn't help, then simply turn it back on again.
oliverb
Grafter

FWIW I think Plusnet probably ought to review that part of the fault checker, since XP really shouldn't be exposed to the net directly without at least Windows Firewall, which appears nearly transparent anyway.
James
Grafter

With software firewalls and antivirus still being problematic with loss of data transfer that would potentially eliminate a crucial form of troubleshooting for a number of broadband faults.
oliverb
Grafter

Appreciated, thats why I said review and not remove.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

If the fault checker requires the opening of certain ports, why not just say what they are?

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."