cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband Down

andrewcornell2

Broadband Down

My service has been down for 3 days.  The broadband connection appears to be working but the router cannot connect to the internet.  Whenever I log onto the router and try to I get an error message - "Connection could not be established - disconnected by user".  I've tried to use my actual log in details and test user details ("bt_test@startup_domain" etc) but always get the same error message.
Plus net support have escalated the issue to BT.  Initially they "ceased and re provided on the RAS" and said that this would solve the problem.  They then advised that it was caused by a common fault that has now been resolved.  On both occasions the problem was not fixed and I kept getting the same error message.
I don't think any progress will be made over the weekend so it looks like I'll be without a connection for at least a week.
Does anybody know what the problem might be and if there is anything I can do to help fix it?
11 REPLIES 11
BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Broadband Down

Let me have a look for you...
Edit: Unfortunately your local exchange doesn't have the test equipment that will allow us to test this remotely. If you've tried two different routers that both will not connect using bt_test@startup_domain then we need to send an engineer out. Please call the Support Team on 0845 140 0200 to arrange this.
andrewcornell2

Thanks for trying to have a look.
A BT Openreach engineer came this morning and confirmed that the ADSL line is working and that the set up at the exchange and at my house looks fine.  I showed him that I couldn't log in but he didn't have the training or equipment to investigate why not.  He didn't have the ability to confirm that my line was capable of connecting to the internet.
Are you suggesting that a Plus net engineer should come out?  If so I'll pass that on to the help desk.  They keep on asking me to try the same things over and over again so it would be good if I could suggest we take some other action.
BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

We don't have any engineer notes back yet, but that doesn't sound good at all Sad
We may need to raise a complaint against the engineer as from your description they didn't sound sufficiently trained to deal with a basic fault. The Faults Team now have your update on the ticket and will be in touch in due course.
andrewcornell2

The notes came back in yesterday and, as expected, said everything is fine, although one test could not be completed because their laptop was not working.  The tech support guys have gone into a huddle and don't seem too sure what to do next.
I'm very concerned that we are not making any progress on the fault.  From what I've read, it seems likely that the problem is an Openreach configuration error but they only seem set up to investigate physical faults.
BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Let me take a look for you...
Edit: The engineer that went out had a broken laptop so wasn't able to test your line properly. I've raised an escalation with our suppliers and it might still be possible to fix this fault remotely. I expect an update later today and will keep you informed.
andrewcornell2

Thanks for the help.
BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

No worries, please let us know how the engineer visit goes on Monday.
andrewcornell2

I got home from a weekend away and tried to login and it worked.  The engineer visited an hour later and confirmed that the connection looks very stable.
I've no idea what changed to suddenly make things working.  The router log shows:
  02 days 16:51:48 (since last boot) PPP link up (Internet) [87.112.53.146] 
  02 days 16:51:47 (since last boot) PPP CHAP Chap receive success : authentication ok
  02 days 16:51:47 (since last boot) PPP CHAP Receive challenge (rhost = ptn-ag01)
  02 days 16:51:46 (since last boot) PPP CHAP Receive challenge (rhost = ERX7.Reading2)
  02 days 16:51:22 (since last boot) LOGIN User tried to login on [HTTP] (from 192.168.1.64)
  02 days 16:51:21 (since last boot) LOGIN User admin logged in on [HTTP] (from 192.168.1.64)
  02 days 16:51:20 (since last boot) LOGIN User tried to login on [HTTP] (from 192.168.1.64)
  02 days 16:48:46 (since last boot) SNTP Unable to contact server: 198.18.1.2
  02 days 16:43:01 (since last boot) SNTP Unable to contact server: 198.18.1.2
It had been up for two days before I logged in and tried to authenticate.
Thanks for all your help - I'm very glad the broadband is up and working well.
andrewcornell2

One and half years later I'm having exactly the same problem.  The connection has only been down for 24 hours so far.  I hope it gets fixed more quickly this time.
The broadband connection appears to be working but the router cannot connect to the internet.  Whenever I log onto the router and try to I get an error message - "Connection could not be established - disconnected by user".  I've tried to use my actual log in details and test user details ("bt_test@startup_domain" etc) but always get the same error message.
Does anybody know what causes this kind of error?
kankali
Grafter

Andrew,
I had a similar issue about 10 months ago. ADSL line seemed OK but router wouldn't connect.
Turned out that the routers firewall had switched to ultra restrictive and wasn't letting anything in or out.
Just clicked the routers firewall back to default and it all started working again.
andrewcornell2

The problem fixed itself.  I'll try and find out what caused it.