cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband Disconnection problems!!

zippyzappy
Grafter

Broadband Disconnection problems!!

For over a year now everything has been just great BUT ......
This morning I got this:
I logged onto my Technicolor router account and got this ......
Disconnected because idle timeout reached .......... Then that disappeared and I got this ...
Green tick on DSL
red X on ATM
No ATM activity detected on your DSL line
red X on PPP
Your connection is currently down.

After 20 minutes it reconnected ..... then I put a report in online here. After 10 minutes it disconnected again for for abourt 8 minutes ... so here I am again.

Over the past few weeks I have had a lot of intermittent disconnections from broadband internet. This usually happens in the morning any time between 5.00am and 10.00am and it can disconnect quite a few times during that period. Some disconnections only last for a minute or so, others last up to 15/20 minutes. I find this most annoying. I have checked all connections to the router and they are fine so I'm certain the downtime is not on my side.
There's been no change in my hardware etc since I started over a year ago and the phone line is fine. ( I did have a noise problem with the phone line last year and that turned out to be a problem at the exchange, not my home).
The router is: TG582n
Any help would be appreciated .... And, is the PlusNet online troubleshooter/reporter effective in solving problems or should I telephone (if so what is the best number).

12 REPLIES 12
andyf4

Re: Broadband Disconnection problems!!

I've just reported almost exactly the same issue this morning too!
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,130199.0.html
Acassim
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi both,
This does sound a little intriguing if you both saw the same issue. I'm beginning to wonder if this could be part of the MBORC (Matters Beyond Our Reasonable Control) that we had raised by BT following the electrical storms and increased rain we had which has seen a lot of places across the UK affected and required some extensive maintenance to resolve.
Have you both seen the problem vanish after some early morning disconnections? They do normally tend to try and carry out the work in the arly hours of the morning when the network is at it's quietest.
andyf4

The problem tends to go away for a period of time once I've rebooted the router and reconnected.
I would have expected the router to have tried to reconnect but I guess it must have been out for so long that it gave up hence the error....
Link Status:	Disconnected
Last Error Message: Disconnected because idle timeout reached
Acassim
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

This is a possibility and could explain the message you're seeing. May be best to see how this goes over the course of the next few days and if you see anything more then I would suggest raising a fault with us.
zippyzappy
Grafter

Thanks for your replies guys, much appreciated.
My disconnections only happen in the morning, usually early morning as stated from around 5:30 onwards. But after 10:00 am it's fine for the rest of the day.
Since this has been happening for a few weeks now, it has become a bit annoying and this is putting a cloud over my previous excellent experience with PlusNet.
Anyway, I have put a report in (I hope it got through) and will await the outcome.
Thanks again guys, help/information appreciated.  Smiley
andyf4

Hi,
My experience is exactly the same yours zippyzappy, excellent service up until a few weeks ago.
Problem has occured again this morning, I've updated my ticket and am also awaiting a response.
Aug 6 23:10:03	PPP link down (Internet) [91.125.110.158]

Regards,
Andy
zippyzappy
Grafter

Cheers andyf4!!
Something else I forgot to report is that I occasionally can't log on at all because the connection is 'Limited' .... I just had this between 18:00 and 18:20 tonight.
So, if you happen to look into this thread Adam C can you please add this to my report because I don't know how to update the 'ticket'

EDIT: It's OK, I found my ticket and added the information about 'Limited'

Thanks.  Smiley
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 157

Hi,
I've seen this in the past too.
When this happens, I have also seen that though PPP has come up (IP allocated etc) that I cannot connect to anything.  Running nslookup delivers "test range IP addresses" for well know domain names.  On one occasion, even though I haver a fixed IP address I got "allocated" one completely different.
The last time this happened I did some connect / disconnect tests with PN support on the end of the line - though they could see that I was connected, I could not reach anything.  Eventually I hit a different FRAME and all was OK.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

zippyzappy
Grafter

Cheers Townman!
Please try to remember though that some people (like me) aren't that clever on connection details ....... So, what may I ask is a FRAME???  Embarrassed
By the way, I'm using Windows 8.1 with all updates 'till present .............. anyone know of any issues with that OS ........... Having said that my wife and son use Windows 7 on their computers and they are having the same connection problems as me.
zippyzappy
Grafter

Got an email this morning.
Support team will be asking the wholesaler (BT) to turn interleaving on to see if that sorts the problem. Apparently interleaving can be a problem with gaming since it can cause ping lag, but since nobody in the house does gaming very often that shouldn't be a problem.
Thanks to all concerned who replied to this thread and I hope you get yours fixed soon andy.  Smiley
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 157

Hi zz,
Sorry!  On this one, to be honest I'm not sure myself - is a term used by the PN support guy I was talking too.  I took it to mean some point of connection to PN world which spanned a number of gateways.
I could though be completely wrong!
He was dynamically monitoring my connections, saw I was connected when I could not get to anywhere and reported me not connected when I was, albeit on the wrong IP address.  When I got a working connection, he said I was on a different frame.
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

zippyzappy
Grafter

OK! Cheers Townman, thanks for putting me in the frame!  Grin