cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband Connection dropping off

ivel13

Broadband Connection dropping off

I'm a new customer to Plusnet of about 10 days and managed to sep up and get online with a d-link g604t router. Speed is OK but my main problem is that the router keeps losing the connection and I have to turn the router off and then back on to re establish the connection. This happens two or three times a day.Has anybogy ang suggestions or solutions? Thanks in advance.
6 REPLIES 6
paulby
Grafter

Re: Broadband Connection dropping off

It could be that there's an idle timeout set.
You'd need to go into the router's configuration from your browser and make sure any idle timeout is set to 0.  (IIRC it's under the Connection 1 button on the Setup tab).
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

The initial stabilisation period should be over by now.
Normally if there's a disconnection your router should reconnect automatically, but it shouldn't be several times a day anyway.
So, maybe a flaky router, maybe some other problem.
I'd call PlusNet support.....
James
Grafter

Hi there,
Is your wireless dropping, or is it the physical connection itself?
If it is the physical connection, I'd recommend trying to use a different microfilter and make sure that your router is plugged into your master socket via a filter.
ivel13

Hi
Its the physical connection thats dropping, the wireless connection is still being maintained and there is no time out set. The router was working fine prior to 18/03/08 with another supplier
I'll try a diferent microfilter and let you know
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Thanks for that, though if possible please can you also test the connection with the router plugged into the master phone socket (where the line comes into the premises) and also with all phone equipment removed? This (if the fault is still apparent) proves that the fault lies with BT and as such we will be able to raise this for you.
If the fault is fixed it's likely to be something at your premises that's plugged into the line, or possibly the wiring itself - it should be a process of elimination then to find out what causes the issue.
Hope that helps,
dougrice
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

ivel13
Last Autumn, My Solwise 715 kept dropping out and my download speeds were poor.
I was told by Plusnet to connect to the master socket's test socket ( with the face plate and extension wiring removed ).
This made a significant improvement to downstream speed.
I then noticed that the filters I used only used two of the six wires connected to the face plate.
I disconnected the unused wires and my ADSL performance has been much better since.
My Solwise 715 router has not dropped out since.
More info at: http://www.dougrice.plus.com/Erlangs/adsl.htm
best wishes, Doug