cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband Accelerator Service

trudderz
Grafter

Broadband Accelerator Service

Before I get started I would like to wish everyone a Happy New Year for 2012 and hope you had a great Christmas!  Grin

Right then,
We are a BT home phone customer and a Plusnet broadband subscriber, and have taken advantage of the Broadband Accelerator Service offered by BT for £90 where they state that after the visit,
Typically your download speed will increase by about 1Mbps. If you don't see an increase of at least 0.5Mbps, we'll refund the charge

We thought that this was a very worthwhile practise as the engineer will make changes to your computer, internal wiring and home networks to make sure you're getting the very best broadband speed available.
The base reason why we coughed up £90 for this service, is that we typically got a stable connection with Plusnet of around 4000Mbps up until October, since then we have been seeing a sync of about 2000Mbps (+/- 500Mbps) which for a relatively low speed anyways is very noticable.
The Accelerator Service is fantastic and very thorough, highly recommended.
The engineer assessed for any faults on the line, cleared up our computers, tested all the phone sockets in our home and checked our equipment.
As he worked though all these checks, with no issues found, we thought there was no hope in even increasing our speed by the minimum of 0.5Mbps, however when he started assessing our broadband equipment that's where the problem lied. He was alarmed initially by the temperature of the Plusnet router which was placed in a well ventilated area but was very hot and (according to the children) made a very high pitched buzz, but we could not hear this!
We had the router changed to a borrowed BT Home Hub 3 and tests again were carried out with the new equipment in place.The engineer found no faults however no increase in sync because the faulty router had pushed up the SNR and he said this would be restricting any increase in sync.
The engineer understood we was a broadband customer of Plusnet and he informed us that they have the power to get this reset for us?
With a SNR reset the engineer agreed that we would be back to a stable connection and with the fault now removed  Wink
Could we therefore please ask a member of Plusnet to reset our line, many thank Smiley

Anyone wishing to have this same Broadband Accelerator Service can request one here https://www.secureorder.bt.com/internetservices/homeitvisit/
All the best!
2 REPLIES 2
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Broadband Accelerator Service

Hi TRUDDERZ,
Thanks for the wishes. I'm surprised that after all that was done they couldn't reset the SNR for you. I'll place an order for you now and request the reset. One question that does arise though, is if your SNR goes up again who will you contact, us or them?
Jojo Smiley
trudderz
Grafter

Re: Broadband Accelerator Service

Thanks very much Jojo  Smiley
The simple reason why I decided to go through Openreach is because the local engineer lives in the estate next door and is a close friend of the family that recommended the service after we were having issues and don't believe Plusnet offer a similar service? Also from the faults we have had on our line previously all have been problems with the voice service and not with the service you have been providing us, and reporting a fault @ http://faults.plus.net has always resulted in raising a fault with the phone provider.
At first instance we didn't know that there was a fault with our broadband equipment or that our SNR had increase, if we had you would of been first port of call  Smiley