cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Brief loss of Internet connectivity 'just now' ?

Routefinder
Grafter

Brief loss of Internet connectivity 'just now' ?

Hi All
Approx 30mins ago the PPPoA session dropped and restarted but there was no Internet connectivity ~ all "Green lights" on the Router so according to the Router the DSL was up and the Internet "was there".  Waited a few mins and then decided best to reboot so disconnected the session and rebooted the router..............................but still no Internet connectivity Sad
So was phoning PlusNet and whilst listening the auto 'press X etc' it returned to normal service Smiley
Did anyone else get this loss and restoration???  I do not recall seeing such a loss with the Router via its "all green" telling me AOK but nothing actually working!
TIA for any feedback Smiley
12 REPLIES 12
KevinA
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Re: Brief loss of Internet connectivity 'just now' ?

it does appear something happened about half an hour ago from the graph below..
Routefinder
Grafter

Ah! if I understand the graph correctly i.e. the extreme RHD end shows a change that affected all gateways..................if so I wonder why on one else seems to have seen the loss of Internet???
Where did you find that graph...............would be good to go have a gander after some more time has passed Smiley
Glenn
Grafter

It happened to me just before 9pm...suddenly my streaming radio stopped and web pages wouldn't load.I waited for a few minutes and it returned to normal...there was no resync and no info in my 582n event log about it either.
I'm on pcl-ag02 gateway if that's any help.  Undecided  Smiley
Pyrii
Grafter

Ah, I'm glad I'm not the only one, it seems a whole bunch went down. And now I appear to have some sort of interleaving on now: http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,115919.0.html
EDIT: Looking at the page of graphs see the same thing happening to quite a few connections last night: http://community.plus.net/ping-graphs/ some people had blips, some people had whole periods of outage and some people had ping increases afterwards like me, indicating interleaving increase/enablement.
Quote from: Routefinder
Where did you find that graph...............would be good to go have a gander after some more time has passed Smiley

http://www.plus.net/support/service/network_performance/broadband_bandwidth_usage.shtml
Looks like ptn-ag02 sharted and never recovered....
Pyrii
Grafter

I'm bumping this as what seems to be a serious fault last night is being completely ignored by the staff on here o_O
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

Not ignored, just not got to yet Smiley
We had a line card fail in one of our gateways which caused a bunch of people to disconnect.  We've got debug and have sent it across to the vendor to have a look at.
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Looking at the graph posted, you can see that the vast majority of customers reconnected instantly. This would have been a drop on the PPP side due to one of our gateways dropping a line card (PTN-AG02). This was followed by maintenance on our suppliers network at around 3am.
This shouldn't have change the characteristics of the line as it wouldn't have caused a loss of sync.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Pyrii
Grafter

It shouldn't have, but it seems it did last night, maybe a bunch of people getting disconnected and reconnecting overloaded something, leaving stale connections too. It seems there was a spike in connections on the above graph before it dipped again.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

To me it looks like the Gateway died just after 2200 and came back on line ~0300.
A belated Service Status might not be a bad idea, might save threads and calls to CSC Huh
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

If we were going to post one, it should have been done last night really. The majority of customers were straight back online.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Don't disagree, and how many times have we commented before about that  Wink
Routefinder
Grafter

For the record following my manual discon and reboot I am now on PTN-AG01, I had a note somewhere what the Gateway was from the last reconnection but cannot find it.
As for the card change and vendor intervention I can see no sign that the session was dropped again following what I did as described above.  Just glad "we" are (mostly???) all back online AOK Cheesy