cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bridging with 2 different routers?

jingomandan

Bridging with 2 different routers?

i am about (i hope) to be connected to PN's ADSL network.
the intention is to upgrade to fibre, and as part of this, i will provide my own router to use to plug into the new VDSL modem that BT will provide. this should mean 1 device performing the local LAN stuff for me (gigabit LAN ports on the unit but also all the WiFi stuff too, and all under 1 IP address range)
i was wondering if i could order this new router now, and use it in the interim period with my current ADSL modem router, with 1 IP address range and 1 WiFi AP? in the final solution, i would only have this single (gigabit) router active and would remove this issue. (it also means i can buy it now, as i am itching to! and configure it up once now, while making internal LAN changes with new ADSL Modem coming online when broadband is activated)
as i see it, if i cabled it up right now, i would expect the following design:
Wall Socket <-----> ADSL Modem (192.168.1.1) <--eth----------> (192.168.1.2) Gigabit Router (192.168.2.1) <---eth & wifi---> (192.168.2.x) Internal LAN 2
                                                            (192.168.1.1) <--eth & wifi--> (192.168.1.x) Internal LAN 1
my understanding is that each router would ask for its own IP and then serve an internal interface(s). however i want everything to run within 1 IP range, even though there would be 2 routers. in fact, ideally, i would prefer to shut off the ADSL modem's WiFi altogether and plug the newer Netgear into it to route all traffic. i guess this is bridged/WDS mode? is this possible between routers of different manufacturers?
have i explained this right? is it possible? can anyone provide the steps required?
hoping someone can help...
cheers
jingomandan