cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bridging two routers

kirton

Bridging two routers

I am upgrading to fibre from the bog standard broadband and have a question that hopefully someone here can answer.
Currently I am using a Draytek 2820 router with an ethernet network.  One of the ports on the Draytek goes to a Netgear WiFi router that is on a different subnet to the ethernetwork.  The WiFi network runs free access to visitors without compromising my private ethernetwork.  To make the WiFi really user friendly I have not used password control but web content filtering with Drayteks GlobalView licence.
So my question is,  Can I bridge the Technicolor TG528N as supplied by Plusnet to my Draytek 2820 or do I need to upgrade my Draytek router to a fibre one?
Kirton  Smiley
2 REPLIES 2
bill888
Champion
Fixes: 38

Re: Bridging two routers

According to this old BT forum thread, you can simply connect your Draytek's WAN2 socket directly into the OpenReach modem, and set up a PPPoE connection on your Draytek for the WAN2 interface.   You don't need to use the TG582n or buy a new router.
https://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Infinity-Speed-Connection/Using-DrayTek-Vigor-2820Vn-instead-of-Home-...
ex-Plusnet (ADSL, FTTC) 2008-2023. now BT (FTTP) 2023-
kirton

Re: Bridging two routers

Thanks for the reply and what's more, I actually understand it!!!!

Cheers!!!
kirton  Smiley