cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bridging... I Think??!!

FastPat27

Bridging... I Think??!!

Hi all
New here so excuse my ignorance on the technical stuff.
I have FTTC and want to extend my coverage around the house. I have 2 routers available, Technicolor TG582n and a Netgear WNR1000 both from Plusnet. I wanted to put one at each end of the house to boost signal. How do I do it?
I have a 30m lenght of ethernet if needs to be wired. Both routers have the same IP 192.168.1.254, does this need changed, if so how?
Where do I start?
Thanks in advance for any help.
Regards
FP
PS BT Openreach Moedm has 2 LAN ports if that makes a difference. Thanks
8 REPLIES 8
itsme
Grafter

Re: Bridging... I Think??!!

I believe only one of the ports on the modem work, other FTTC users hopefully  will confirm this.
The WNR1000 will be connected to the modem. Then my advise will be to try and sell the TG582n on ebay and buy a dedicated extender like http://www.netgear.co.uk/home/products/wireless-range-extenders/wn2000rpt.aspx#
kmilburn
Grafter

It is possible to use the WNR1000 to create a secondary network by connecting the WAN port of the WNR1000 to one of the ethernet ports on the TG582 (which should be connected to the modem).
Then in the WNR1000s 'Basic Settings', set 'Does your Internet connection require a login?' to no.
In the 'LAN Setup',  you'll need to change the IP Addresses used to a different range  (e.g. 192.168.2.x)
That would be enough to allow machines connected to the WNR1000 to get access to the internet.
However,  getting machines within the secondary network to talk to machines in the primary requires playing with static routes and port forwarding and a fixed IP for the WNR1000.
So,  it is doable with the kit you have,  but may be better to use range extenders, etc.  depending on what you want to achieve.
FastPat27

Hi Guys
Thanks for the replies. I messed about and what I have ended up doing is using the Netgear as my first router connected to the Modem. I changed the Lan IP to 192.168.1.25 (just removed the 4 at the end) and run cable from ethernet port on Netgear to ethernet port on TG582. Seems to have worked and running ok.
What I didn't do kmilburn was "Then in the WNR1000s 'Basic Settings', set 'Does your Internet connection require a login?' to no." Would this matter if it is working.
At the moment I haven't wanted to connect to other decives or storage but this is something I'll want to do. I'll probably call in a networking expert to do this.
Thanks again
FP
itsme
Grafter

Did not realise that the TG582 is a modified one for Fibre.
First have you any other devise plugged into the WNR1000 and connected to the internet? I would so not as it sound as the TG582 is connecting to the internet.
The WNR1000 need to be set up to connect to the internet which require the username and password. The IP 192.168.1.25 may need to be changed if it's the DHCP pool. The DHCP to be switched off on the TG582 and for it to have a fixed IP. I would suggest keeping the WNR1000 to it's default settings and changing the static IP of the TG882 to 192.168.1.253.
You need to connect the TG582 directly to a PC and configure it first before connecting it into your network.
kmilburn
Grafter

If the WNR1000 is connect to the router,  you don't want to make the change I suggested;  that was for having them the other way round.  
Ideally though,   you would want to make the equivalent change on the TG582.
Also, you really need to separate the two networks IP ranges as you could get two devices with the same address on each router,  which may cause problems.
itsme
Grafter

not if you switch the DHCP off on the second router.
itsme
Grafter

@kmilburn
You right connect the TG882 to the modem and the WRN1000 to the TG582
The TG582 have an IP address of 192.168.1.254 and the WRN1000 it is 192.168.1.1 so need to make sure the the DHCP of the TG582 start higher than this.
Then the only other configuration is to the WRN1000 reading the manual ftp://downloads.netgear.com/files/WNR1000_UM_WW_26Jan09.pdf. Make sure that the setting are as page 1-6 Your internet connection does not require a login and chapter 4 will show you how to switch off the DHCP and SPI.
To use another device on your network as the DHCP server, or to manually specify the network
settings of all of your computers, clear the Use Router as DHCP Server check box. Otherwise,
leave it selected. If this service is not selected and no other DHCP server is available on your
network, you need to set your computers’ IP addresses manually or they will not be able to access
the router.

You will be using the DHCP of the TG586
StuartUK35
Grafter

I got a similar setup, although without the CAT5 cabling (if i drill holes in the wall, i'll probably break something!! Cheesy )
I got 2 routers from PN, the WNR1000 and the Zyxel Fibre router.
The WNR1000 is used as a dartboard :D.
The Zyxel giga router sits on the end of a homeplug, but runs as a 'switch'.  DHCP and all settings turned off, so no conflicts (uselan port, not wan), just extended ports in the house.  The wifi from my main router (Cisco E3000) covers the house and outside anyway, plus i dont think i could use the wireless antenna on the 'Zyxel' router/switch to act as an extender....
My homeplugs are 200mb TP-Link, so give a good throughput.... (average 20mb a sec)
Although as per someones suggestion above about the wifi range extender, thats good if its wifi coverage your looking at Smiley