cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Brand new phoneline with broadband - Provisioned as G.DMT?

FIXED
MarcusJClifford
Grafter

Brand new phoneline with broadband - Provisioned as G.DMT?

Hi All,

Just after some advice and experience at the moment before requesting anything from Plusnet.

I had a brand new phoneline (actual new physical phoneline fitted) and broadband from Plusnet installed last week (Thursday). 

The broadband became active early on Friday morning, and it is working fine (very low error counts etc). My question is the line has established an ADSL connection to the exchange using G.DMT, this I believe is indicative of an ADSL (original / version 1) type connection rather than ADSL2 or ADSL2+.

Other Plusnet connections I have in different areas do indeed say ADSL2+ in the connction status.

My exchange is ADSL2+ enabled, so my question is should I expect this to switch during the 10 day stabilization period, or should I consider contacting Plusnet and enquiring about this?

I am syncing at:

ADSL Upstream 832

ADSL Downstream 6912 kbps
SNR UPstream 10.0
SNR Downstream 5.9
Line Att US 25.0
Line Att DS 41.0

Thanks in advance.

Marcus

12 REPLIES 12
SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

Re: Brand new phoneline with broadband - Provisioned as G.DMT?

@MarcusJClifford

Can your line handle more speed? That maybe why it is set to ADSL not ADSL2 so ensuring a working stable line.

What  does the ADSL checker at http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome? show?

Speed against connection type is 

ADSL1 ADSL2 ADSL2+ VDSL VDSL2
Standard G.992.1 (G.DMT) G.992.3 G.992.5 G.993.1 G.993.2
Max Downstream 8 Mbps 12 Mbps 24 Mbps 40 Mbps 80 Mbps

Read more: http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/linestats_explanation.htm#ixzz4j77qG1t4

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
MarcusJClifford
Grafter

Thanks, the BT DSL checker says:

There is no data available for this number. This could be either because it is not a BT line or it is a new BT number that has just been provided. Most new numbers will appear on the checker 24 hours after BT has installed the line.

Which is perhaps expected as the line only went live on Thursday.

For the measured attenuation it states:

ADSL: 6688

ADSL2+: 8640 

But I know these are theoretical figures. 

My question was more around is this a standard way Plusnet configures up new lines - G.DMT first, then moving to ADSL2+ (G.992.5) at a point in the future - during the 10 day period or after.

SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

You could try the address part of the checker and use next door's house number to get a value (assuming next door is close by and you are not on top of a mountain Smiley )

But hopefully someone from Plusnet CS will pop by soon and offer an official answer.

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
maranello
Pro
Fixes: 2

Your upload speed suggests you are on ADSL2/2+, as it would be only around half that on ADSL1.

My other car isn't a Ferrari
RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

PlusNet would not set you up on G.DMT first and change it later, the upstream speed is what you would get on ADSL Max premium at that fixed value but I believe that is only available on a business connection. I suppose PlusNet could have ordered the wrong service by mistake, it has happened before.Huh

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

I'm just taking a look and will post back again shortly.

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Chris
Legend

It does appear that we've placed the line on to ADSL on 21CN rather than ADSL2+, this is likely due to the estimates not showing ADSL2+ as available and therefore it not showing in the ordering system initially.

I've been able to place a modify order to move you to ADSL2+ and this should complete tomorrow morning.

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
MarcusJClifford
Grafter

@Chris Hi Chris, thanks.

I was only after information at this stage, but if you can confirm the below then I think the modify will be fine.

1. Making this change won't affect the 10 day stabalisation period?
  2. If making the change to ADSL2+ does introduce any instability is it possible to switch back to G.DMT / ADSL?

Out of interest, my router allows me to select what type of ADSL connection can be made e.g. DMT / ADSL2 / ADSL2+ etc - all are ticked currently, so I assume it picks whatever is best or whatever the exchange chooses, but does anyone have expereince of forcing (via modem) the connection method?

Finally, out of interest how did you know what line / connection I was talking about? You have chosen the right one (as I got the "Our Support Team have opened Question..." email, but just interested to know. Smiley 

Bit of background for anyone interested.

I suspect I know why this happened, BT Openreach screwed about with everyone's lines in the rural area the house is in in December 2012. Everyone's sync speed dropped from 7-8 Mbps down to about 3, the reason was BT replaced a good cable bundle with cheap cable bundle and crosstalk issues came to the fore which they refused to fix. They admited they did it, but refused to undo / fix as it was "within specification". Hence my estimated line speed when I placed the Plusnet order was probably on the cusp of seeing any real benefit of ADSL2+, so the decision was probably based on that.

However, BT had to fit a new line for me for this, The Openreach chap who turned up about a month before the install to do a survey said "may need a mile of new cable", so my line now, I suspect, is out of that "bad" cable bundle so I'm not suffering the crosstalk issues, hence my sync of almost 7000.

Chris
Legend

Fix
  1. Making this change won't affect the 10 day stabalisation period?
  2. If making the change to ADSL2+ does introduce any instability is it possible to switch back to G.DMT / ADSL?

1. It would restart the 10 day period, this would happen whenever we modified the line.

2. Yep, it's a 1 working day order to move you back.

MarcusJClifford
Grafter

@Chris Thanks Chris - excellent service, as I have come to expect from Plusnet - thanks Smiley  I've marked your last post as "Problem Solved"

MarcusJClifford
Grafter

Just to bring this thread to a close, the switch to ADSL2+ happened last night (~04:30) and I am now on ADSL2+ with a downstream sync of 8535 kbps Upstream went to 886 kbps.

Thanks all.

Chris
Legend

Great to hear. Let us know if there's anything else we can help with